Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • VAG aircon cleaning
  • donald
    Free Member

My Octavia is coming up to two years old and my garage is trying to sell me a clean/disinfection of the aircon system for fifty quid. Is this somehing I should agree to or is it something that can be ignored safely?

Any thoughts?

allthepies
    Free Member

£50! Money for old rope, don’t bother.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Halfords were doing bottles of refrigerant, regulators and bottles of ‘air con cleaner’ for about £35 not so long ago.

Basically the latter was a £7 aerosol; you started the engine and warmed it up, turned the air con upto max and recirculate, opened the aerosol and left it on the floor behind the front seats, close the doors and leave it to disinfect everything for 10 minutes or so before going back to open the doors and let it disperse. Definitely not worth £50!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Smells from a/c comes from bacteria on the cooling evaporator. Better off just getting a can of a/c cleaner off ebay for a fiver and do it yourself.
    I am in the a/c buisness and cant see how they will make £50 worth of work out of it, but I guess stealer prices.

donald
    Free Member

thanks guys.

footflaps

Never had my Golf AC cleaned in 12 years.

Mind you, it smelt like there was a dead rat in the system 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

smells nice & lemony for a week or two.

you can buy a lot of magic trees for £50 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I buy the proper stuff from the dealers for my wife, always have for the last few cars She always has a lovely fresh smelling VAG

lilesy
    Free Member

all they use is a little canister you can buy from any car spares shop, you then normally set ac on centre vents and recirc and run for half hour dead easy worth diseinfecting as ac systems can hold all sorts of germs including thrush
    all we used when working at audi

br
    Free Member

Put a new filter in.

samuri
    Free Member

lol at Charlie 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘VAG aircon cleaning’ is closed to new replies.