Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Vacuum cleaner world
  • chiefgrooveguru

Can I add a question to this? Steam mops. Any recommendations? For a mix of tiled floors and wooden floorboards, with two small children constantly making a mess!

IHN

Dysons are an absolutely genius marketing trick; they are heavy

Ours is, granted, my parents have one of the smaller ones and it isn’t, indeed that’s why they bought it.

, expensive,

Cos Miele and Sebo are cheap.

unreliable,

Ours isn’t

ugly

As opposed to all those other good-looking vacuunm cleaners. And anyway, who cares?

ridiculously over-complicated

I turn it on, it sucks dirt up, I turn it off when I’m finished. Emptying it involves pushing two buttons. What’s complicated?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Late to the party again, but as I’m here then I’ll just add that having owned a Dyson, & still an owner of a Henry & a Sebo I must say that the Henry stays in the garage & cleans that & the cars only, or gets to clean up mega mess in the house if minor or major demolition has occurred, usually followed by the Sebo to do the final clean of the fine dust the Henry leaves behind, they are industrial & virtually indestructible but they are a blunt tool & a really not that powerful if you use the bags.

richmars

They had the Dyson robot in Currys last weekend.Looked impressive but over £700

Stoner
    Free Member

kenny smells spammy

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sebo if you want a proper upright, dyson hand held if you don’t. We just bought the Dyson absolute and with 40 minute run time there’s no need to use the sebo now for a full house clean.

We also have a Dyson V6 hand held with 20 minute charge but the absolute is better in lots of ways – emptying is easier, switching to ‘turbo’ mode is easier

newrobdob
    Free Member

I have a Bertie (bigger version of a Henry) and it’s ace for more agricultural uses, was ace when doing building work and cleaning the car and big spills etc but it can’t match a proper upright on piled carpets – you need a beater bar to sweep through the pile.

One thing I’ve noticed is that Dyson keep bringing out new stuff all the time, is this to get people buying them and upgrading? Sebo vacuums have looked the same for years and years and looo very traditional.

Our church is flipping huge and th congregation clean it – acres of carpets. We used to have some Dysons but they all broke quite quickly. Bought 10 Sebos – nothing fancy – and they still work just as well as the day they were purchased. Lightweight, efficient, simple but powerful. It’s what I am buying next.

lovewookie

we have a dyson V6 for light duties, though it’s not really up to those anymore either, so are probably going to get a g-tech something or other for inetrim cleaning. However in a moment of sheer dyson induced frustration (and it was in the B&Q sale) we bought a vax commercial.

holy hell, i could use it to strip paint. needs to be used with teh air bleed open fully otherwise you can’t move it on carpet, and forget about rugs, it’s a two man job, one standing on the rug to hold it down, the other vacuuming.

edhornby

James Dyson, pro Brexit… wants to revitalise the UK economy by outsourcing manufacture overseas and pay less tax..

Henry are made in the UK and pay tax, and are better hoovers

(had a Dyson, it was overpriced meh)

nickjb
    Free Member

James Dyson, pro Brexit… wants to revitalise the UK economy by outsourcing manufacture overseas and pay less tax..

Thought this usual stuff would come up eventually. He has massively helped UK manufacturing by his employment and training of graduate engineers plus his education centres, bursaries and prizes for design and engineering students. He just doesn’t think it’s a great location for mass production of his products (which he has very little to do with these days anyway).

Can’t say I agree with his stance on brexit but at least he has a reasoned argument

As for taxes I’ll leave this here:

Among the 54 billionaires resident in 2006 (the most up-to-date figures) a total of £14.7m was paid in tax. Mr Dyson alone paid £9m of that. In 2010, Dyson’s company paid 88 per cent of its total tax bill in Britain, giving the Exchequer £50m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-billionaires-who-do-pay-their-bills-including-james-dyson-and-jk-rowling-7873607.html?amp

Gary_M
    Free Member

Henry are made in the UK and pay tax, and are better hoovers

They’re not ‘hoovers’, and they’re not better vacuum cleaners.

I’m not a fan of Dyson uprights or cylinders as sebo is where it’s at but dyson hand helds are very good.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

we have a dyson V6 for light duties, though it’s not really up to those anymore either

why’s that then – battery dieing or ?

needs to be used with teh air bleed open fully otherwise you can’t move it on carpet

can’t move my V8 on carpet when on max, with the wrong head.

Gary_M
    Free Member

can’t move my V8 on carpet when on max, with the wrong head.

And even with the right head on max it’s pretty sucky 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, a spam-bump.
    I just recently bought a Shark! Not seen that mentioned. I did read some reviews and ignored this thread cos people just vote for posh brand names (Meile? Those things don’t even have wheels!)
    The Shark is great. V powerful and a fraction of the price of a Dyson.

dannybgoode

+1 for Shark. We’ve just got one and it’s brilliant. Picks up so much dust and crap that other hoovers have missed.

wilburt
    Free Member

When you absolutely definitely have to Vac everything in the room..there is no competition it has to be a Henry.

They are also a top notch British company.

fossy

The Dyson Animal we had finally died (was under extended warranty but it had just about everything replaced during this time).  Went for a Vax Air Lift (two in fact – one for caravan).  Long cable which will do upstairs as well just plugged in downstairs. Motor unit comes off so great for car and stairs.  About £150 with 6 year warranty.

rone

If you’re into keeping your house clean the answer is actually v+1.

I have 4 vacuum cleaners. The Dyson V6 for quick duties and two mieles , one for filth and car, and one for house.

I also have a spare V6 that is back up for when the other V6 bin breaks. I don’t think the Dyson HHs are quite good enough for all situations. Not so great on hard floors.

There is no one perfect vac like there is not one perfect bike.

tripsterpete
    Free Member

Henry without doubt.

Simple but effective.

Design hasn’t changed in decades. And there’s a reason for that!!!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

There are actually lots of different Henry’s. They look pretty much the same but the switches, motors and top casings changed over the years. Mine is the really basic single speed, non-recoil cable version. The motor armature died at about ten years and I bodged a Panasonic motor into it as it was available for a fiver, tuned it up to 1400w yo! All of them can be fixed pretty cheaply though, there just isn’t much in there to go wrong.

Having worked on many Dysons I’d not have one. Noisy, cheaply made crap in my opinion.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Saying that I wouldn’t mind a Henry with the motor powered brush, they’re pretty damn good.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Much like backpacking where you have a “system” of bikes/tyres/wheels/luggage/quilts/tents/tarps/sleeping bag/mat/torches/stove/pans

You need a vacuum system. Every “real” vaccumist has a cupboard under the stairs with at least 10 different styles of vacuum – uprights, handhelds, sticks, robot ones, carpet shampoo, shop vac and so on.

Come on people, lets take this seriously.

DT78
    Free Member

Dyson v6 hand held for an automated dustpan and brush and George for heavier duties.  Best of both worlds.

lambchop
    Free Member

Recently bought a Hoover Evolution Breeze as our ancient Panasonic died and Panasonic don’t make vacuums any more.

The Hoover is great, low power consumption, quiet and picks up tons. £79 on Amazon.

rmacattack
    Free Member

The henry is the alpha male of the vacuum world. Does not faff about with silly gimmicks and just gets on with the job and gets it done with no fuss.

paulwf

Ao.com has what I assume are old stock Miele C2s (as they are the high power motor) at a very good price £119

https://ao.com/product/compactc2extreme-miele-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-blue-54027-59.aspx

wilburt
    Free Member

Shark for steam mops

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Vacuum cleaner world’ is closed to new replies.