Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • V40, Golf, Civic or ???
  • tommid
    Free Member

I have had 4 Golfs, they are boring, but reliable. We have a Freelander, so don’t need anything to big. I want good MPG as I do 70 miles a day and it needs to be comfy on long journeys as I travel for work. I have 12K or should I say I will spend 12K on finance.

I’d like no more that 25k miles on the clock, ideally 14/64 plate, DAB radio, Nav, heated seats, moon on a stick?

Any real world feedback and and other suggestions.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Leon? You’ll get an FR for that money I reckon..

loddrik
    Free Member

Golf….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I recently bought a d4 v40 (190bhp). Had 9000 on the clock, 16 plate, cost 32,000 new and I picked it up 6 months later for 17k.
    It’s the r design so looks a bit nicer than the normal style. Really nice inside with dab, sat nav, Bluetooth etc…
    I did a 60 mile run the other day and it (according to the computer on board) averaged about 58mpg. After a couple of days doing shortish drives its sitting at 54 now.
    Really quick turn of pace, i have the 8 speed automatic version which drives nice but needs slight advanced decision making to make up for the delay in the box stepping down if you floor it.
    Boot is reasonable but nothing amazing but at least it comes with an actual spare wheel and not a can of gunge.
    Oh yeah, has heated seats and the seats are comfy too which apparently is a Volvo thing. Also has airbags everywhere including one on the windscreen to launch pedestrians into space if you hit them.
    Another thing I like about the dab is that it only displays stations that are available and adds / takes them off the list if they appear or lose signal.

tommid
    Free Member

Cheers neverownenoughbikes.

Rockthreegozy I had thought about a Leon, but a mate had one (an older model and it was cheap looking inside). I’ll have a look

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for the V40 R-Design.. had one as a company car, and loved it.
    Came from a Golf, and found it far nicer in every sense..

CountZero

Leon FR, V60 Cross Country…
    Not got long-term experience, only driven a couple of hundred miles in either, that’s single runs, and both were a joy to drive.
    I’ve got a three-and-half hour run up to Birkenhead tomorrow in a Leon TDi, it’s got DAB, all LED lighting, dead comfy seats, and I was really rather pleased to see what I’d been given to drive up there.
    It might be worth checking out Mazdas, maybe something like the CX-5? I drove a Mazda3 the other day, and I was very taken with it, the CX is supposed to be a great drive, has a bit of the MX-5’s DNA in it, and apparently got pretty impressive handling, the comfort levels of the Mazda3 and 6 I’ve driven are good indeed.
    Believe me, often driving between two and three hundred miles a day, delivering cars all over the country, comfort and a good driving position, along with a DAB and cruise control have become highly significant when it comes to liking a car!

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

If you get a v40 with the winter pack it also has the heated windscreen as found in Ford’s, Volvo gained that when ford owned them for a bit. I think it’s also the safest car made right now. Volvo have an aim that no one will die in a Volvo in a car accident. Not sure how realistic that would be if a lorry hits you but a nice idea.

Saccades
    Free Member

My v60 has the turning circle of the qe2..

Oh and the lights are on all the time and unless off there is no beep when you get out to prevent a flat battery. Confused?

And handbrake is in a stupid place.

It’s ace apart from that and would buy another.

soma_rich
    Free Member

If you do look at V40 do not under any circumstances get one with a GDI engine! They are awful, I was forever cleaning throttle bodies, replacing sensors or bodging things to get it out of limp home mode.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the V40 Cross Country, I’ve been looking for a while now and trading down size from an XC60. I didn’t even consider the V40 when I bought the 60, but sure wish I had. I’m almost finished looking around at all sorts of replacements, but the V40 CC with the small Diesel engine and winter pack ticks all my boxes, but I might wait another year for the XC40.. but I might not. Oh, I want one with the normal fat tyres on it not the low profile ones..

Which leads me to ask the question, those that have had the r-design with low profiles on.. is it noisy ? And crashy to drive ? I was told that the suspension on the CC is “tuned” and designed for the UKs shite road network..

beanum

We had a V40 R Design hire car the other week and were really impressed with it, the interior in particular. I don’t know why there’s a numeric keypad on the dashboard though, who dials a number manually these days??

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I test drove both a V40 and a Seat Leon (Golf in disguise).

Went for the Leon although it was a close call – it just felt better to drive. Plenty of toys on the V40 though and still a nice place to be.

T1000
    Free Member

If it’s comfort and convenience then test drive a golf/or clone with a DSG gearbox plus the ACC (the adaptive cruise control is good with the manual gearbox but so much better with the automatic)

Im sure Volvo had a similar system to ACC available but I’ve no experience with their automatic gearboxes

I’ve no experience of the new Honda other than a type R which was amazing but not a car I’d want as a commuter

Nobby

Alfa Giulietta JTDM with TCT box – surprisingly competent/comfy motorway cruiser. Put 68k on my last one in less than 2.5 years & it still felt like new. Sensible use returned close to 50mpg.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The V40 I test drove didn’t have a DSG gearbox – the Leon does and this added to the overall better driveability.

chestrockwell

Alfa Giulietta JTDM

We test drove one as we liked the look of them. The drive felt three generations old and so far off the modern standard it had to be crossed off the list.

We ended up with a BMW 1 Series after looking at all the options. The current one is great and has a decent level of standard kit. Great to drive too. Oh, and it’s not a Golf!

Nico
    Free Member

No votes for the Civic then.

hammerite
    Free Member

We have a V40 D2 R-design with the winter pack with sat nav, DAB and bluetooth. We love it, had it for 18 months still feels like we’re getting in and driving a brand new car. The points above on safety aren’t lost on insurers, we upgraded from a 1.2l Corsa worth about £22k less, yet my insurance dropped by about £100.

We test drove a Guilietta, didn’t drive anywhere near nicely as the Volvo.

solamanda
    Free Member

I can’t speak for the newer civics but we have a 2006 petrol civic and I think they’re hugely under rated cars, which means they’re great value second hand. Our other car is a ‘quality German’ brand and the overall quality differences are quite small. I think the newer civics look great too.

njee20
    Free Member

The V40 I test drove didn’t have a DSG gearbox – the Leon does and this added to the overall better driveability.

Well it won’t, because DSG is a VW thing, but the automatic V40 is still a pretty decent box.

scud
    Free Member

We have a V40 D2 R-design with the winter pack with sat nav, DAB and bluetooth. We love it, had it for 18 months still feels like we’re getting in and driving a brand new car. The points above on safety aren’t lost on insurers, we upgraded from a 1.2l Corsa worth about £22k less, yet my insurance dropped by about £100.

I work for an insurers and as someone quoted above, Volvo’s mission statement is that “no one will be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo by 2020”, insurers do take things like this on board, although the repair costs can be hideous as the new XC90 has something like 18 air-bags including external ones for pedestrians

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Well it won’t, because DSG is a VW thing

Not strictly true as it’s only licensed to VW, but similar technology is available to other manufacturers also. Ford call it Powershift, for example. Oddly, Audi doesn’t call it DSG but S-tronic.

The Volvo auto I test drove was the standard torque converter, so slow to change in comparison to a DSG. Still okay, but old technology and not fuel efficient.

funkrodent

Way out of my league here in terms of general automotive knowledge. However I will say that I had the last generation civic (wedge) with the 2.2 manual diesel. Averaged over 50mpg easily, goes like a rocket, solid handling, comfortable. And from a biking point of view loads of internal space, especially with the ‘magic’ fold flat back seats

tommid
    Free Member

I had a Civic as a company car, it was the 1.6ES. It was immense, but wanted to get some perspective on other cars available. I love the look of the V40 and have seen plenty of good deals with all the kit.

rob2
    Free Member

I have a V40 rdesign d4 with all the stuff on it as my company car

Pros:-
    Fast
    Comfy (I do a 70mile commute each day)
    Solid

Cons:-
    Visibility is cack
    I’ve had engine faults and tyre pressure sensor faults all the time
    Mpg is a bit cack. My commute is all motorway. At 75mph for the last 3 years I don’t average much better than 50mpg
    Terribly small boot
    Small in the back for adults

I know lots of people love theirs but I can’t wait to get a new car which will be a civic. Before you ask I didn’t choose it but someone ordered it then left so I got it.

njee20
    Free Member

Not strictly true as it’s only licensed to VW, but similar technology is available to other manufacturers also. Ford call it Powershift, for example. Oddly, Audi doesn’t call it DSG but S-tronic.

You know what I mean. Older Audis were R-Tronic, so I guess they continued their naming convention. Agree it’s a bit odd when Skoda/Seat call it DSG though.

R-Tronic was terrible, driven a couple of R8s with it, and that really is a slow shift, much prefer DSG. Have had loads of Volvo hire cars and their auto box is pretty good IMO.

CountZero

pg is a bit cack. My commute is all motorway. At 75mph for the last 3 years I don’t average much better than 50mpg

And that’s a problem? 😯
    FWIW the Leon I drove the other day was a delight, that was a 210 mile run, three and a half hours, no stops, and I barely had to move around in the seat, because bits were getting numb, unlike some cars I get to drive.
    I think it was the 1.6, but it had all the bits that are important, DAB, cruise, etc, it was quiet, and just a lovely car.
    I’ll chuck the Renault Captur into the mix, it’s Renaults answer to the Nissan Juke, same platform, but a far, far better looking car, handles beautifully, is comfy as heck, and a really nice place to be. I spent a big chunk of today in one as a passenger, and I’ve driven one before, and I’m seriously considering one as a replacement for my Octavia, the higher seating position suits me better these days, and I don’t need a huge boot any more, and the reviews are very positive as well.
    I’d consider the Kadjar as well, that’s the Qashqai equivalent, has a 4×4 option, but may be outside my means.
    One really nice feature, which I’ve not seen anywhere else, is the seat base and back covers unzip from the actual seat, so they can be stuck in the wash regularly to keep them looking good; brilliant idea, that.

rob2
    Free Member

I think 50mpg is a bit cack for a new car. My wife has a merc estate 2l diesel and it does over 60 and a friend at work who commutes up from Cornwall gets 58 from a ten year old diesel BMW. It’s all relative but I think it’s a bit cack

FuzzyWuzzy

The points above on safety aren’t lost on insurers, we upgraded from a 1.2l Corsa worth about £22k less, yet my insurance dropped by about £100.

Not disputing it but I find this odd. Surely the majority of risk for an insurer comes from theft, minor damage from owner (e.g. reversing into bollard) and accidents that was other drivers fault. None of those matter whether it’s a Volvo or not, it’s about replacement & repair cost (or nothing for the latter one).
    The other major risk is the insured driver causing an accident which apart from maybe Volvo drivers being statistically safer (I guess many boy racers don’t own one for example) I can’t see a Volvo in itself really helps with (OK some may have lane assist and radar type stuff these days but so do a lot of other cars).
    So, from an insurer’s perspective, the fact it’s got a lot of air bags doesn’t mean a reduced risk to them should it? It’s not as though they’d typically cover private medical bills in an ‘at fault’ accident either.

unknown
    Free Member

For balance I’ve got a V40 D4 r design and over 23000 miles in the last 18 months I’ve averaged just over 60mpg. Can’t say I’ve noticed a problem with visibility either.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Not entirely sure but would think you’d be able to pick up a 1 series for that sort of price / condition?

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

V40 CC owner here for a year and a bit.

Got the sippy sippy D2 model – got a displayed 72mph on the first long run, normally hit mid to high 50mpg.

Pros
    Really great seats. comfy.
    Fab toys, great stereo, classy layout and a quality feel

Cons
    The boot is small – but you should know that before you buy anyway. We’ve been camping in it and have roofbars for the odd occasion when we need more space. The reality is the car runs around lightly loaded for a large part of the time.
    Not a cheap car

tallmart10

My Civic 2.2 diesel (2010) gets 53-54 mpg overall … Awesome car if a little harsh over speed bumps and British roads..

Dickyboy

@fuzzywuzzy – all those costs pale into insignificance when compared with compensation payouts for four teenagers with life changing injuries after a tumble in their mates corsa

bails

So, from an insurer’s perspective, the fact it’s got a lot of air bags doesn’t mean a reduced risk to them should it? It’s not as though they’d typically cover private medical bills in an ‘at fault’ accident either.

They might not have private medical bills (or they might) but the NHS recovers the cost of treating road crash victims from insurers, so the insurers will have that cost to cover too.

There’s also all the ‘collision avoidance’ stuff creeping in which must lower the risk of low speed bumps in traffic.

I looked at brand new Astras a while ago (very well reviewed against the same generation Focus and Golf) and they were cheaper to insure (as a 200hp 1.6 turbo petrol) than my 12 year old 1.8 diesel Focus. They did have the Onstar tracking thing which presumably lowers the risk of a total loss through theft.

hammerite
    Free Member

When making the insurance statement maybe I should have mentioned the car has rear parking sensors and a collision avoidance system – my old car didn’t.

I should also say that insurance on my old car was only about £350 so changing to the V40 and still saving £100 is pretty impressive.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve had a 1.6 diesel Civic for a year now, was picked up as a cheap lease deal after a run of bad cheap cars.

Not stopped singing it’s praises. Plenty of toys, comfortable, quick enough (thought the 1.6 might be slow but has never been an issue), running c.58mpg on a short commute with some longer trips thrown in. Definitely worth a look. A mate has bought one for a longer commute and he’s happy for motorway work, he’s running at 70mpg some days and overall in the 60s I think.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Mrs is on her 3rd Mazda 3. 2 litre petrol, 16 plate. Prefer it to my 17 plate Golf………

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘V40, Golf, Civic or ???’ is closed to new replies.