Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • V-brake or canti mods for 700 wheel in 26" frame
  • cjr61

Recently picked up a cheap steel retro MTB frame and want to chuck in some old CX wheels and use it as a baby carrier. I could just get a pair of 26 wheels but wondering if I can modify cheap brakes to work?

Adapters?

Budget project so if it is cheaper to pick up some cheap wheels I might just do that.

Thanks

Chris

fasthaggis
    sanername

There was a company called FMF that used to make v-brakes for BMXs that have enough vertical adjustment in the pads for brakes mounted on standard mounts for 26″ wheels to reach 700c rim brake surfaces. I can’t seem to find them anymore, but I have them on a 26″-650b conversion I did and they work great.

Paul Components still do something similar, but they are not cheap.

welshfarmer

have been toying with the same concept and found these on Ebay…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-MTB-ATB-FORK-WITH-V-DISC-MOUNT-1-1-8-STEERER-28-6mm-260mm-STEERER-THREADED-/182346602385?hash=item2a74b45791:g:jo0AAOxy4fVTAyc2

You can get the same for 700 wheels but may raise the front of the bike too much since the axle-crown value is 15mm more

cjr61

Excellent ideas thanks all

harvey
    Free Member

the adapter shown by fasthaggis is or was made by mavic.

i adapted v brakes to do as you require. i used two aluminium extension bars about 15mm by 55mm drilled with holes to bolt to the vbrake and give the extra radius required for 700 rims. very simple and very safe!
    pm me and i can send photos which explain much better.

also a cheap cyclocross fork will work with either v brakes or better still, mini v’s

cjr61

Hi harvey,

Thanks for that. Can’t see an email for you but pics would be great.

Thanks

Chrisj.Ross@btinternet.com

epicyclo

All good advice, but just check the cx wheels will actually fit if it’s an old frame. Tyre sizes were smaller, so clearances were tighter.

(I had the same brilliant idea, just 18 years ago 🙂 )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘V-brake or canti mods for 700 wheel in 26" frame’ is closed to new replies.