Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • V-Brake Mounts, Disc Brakes and "more standards!"
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m trying to cast my mind back 10, 15 years – People get upset when their bike becomes ‘obsolete’ seemingly over-night, 142 rear end, 150 rear ends, ‘boost, 29″, 650b ‘plus’ bikes, 1.5″ headtubes, taper headtubes etc. I’ve suffered like most when your new shiny thing doesn’t seem so new anymore and worse still when it actually become a lot less useful for paying for the new thing.

But, were there calls of “marketing nonsense” when disc brakes came along, and gasps of horror when the first bikes without v-brake mounts followed them?

As I remember disc brakes stand out as something that was almost universally loved from day 1 and no one bemoaned the passing of v-brakes? Well apart from a few who grumbled about weight and the one weird guy in the corner with the nasally voice who used to say “I don’t see the point in disc brakes when I can lock the wheels with v-brakes”.

aP
    Free Member

My first disc braked bike was in 98 – it came without v-brake mounts as well (possibly the first bike without v-brake mounts sold in the UK?). But… it did have a soon to be obsolete rotor mounting pattern.
    The problem now is multitudes of standards, particularly those which are manufacturer specific, and which don’t survive for more than a couple of product cycles leaving the owner with an obsolete, and un-maintainable bike.

RustySpanner

Instant love for wider bars and tyres, suspension and, discs.
    I was interested in all of these, rather than cynical, as they seemed to offer genuine benefits.

Apart from that, not much new tech appeals – 650b, Boost, through axles, flat mount, tapered head tubes etc.
    Slowly ditching Hollotech for square taper and dumping Shimano discs.

I like bigger tyres and 29’ers make sense for bigger people.
    Geometry evolves, which is good.

Fancy trying a dropper, tubeless and 1*, but not just yet.

Dedicated bike packing luggage might be a goer, but I’d have to try it to see how much more practical it is than the rack, bin bags and bungees approach.
    🙂

Much of the rest just puts me off, tbh.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘V-Brake Mounts, Disc Brakes and "more standards!"’ is closed to new replies.