Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Uvex Helmets
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My Uvex XP100 helmet is now well over 5 years old, and since sunday’s rain at the Dyfi Enduro caused the shell to delaminate, I need to replace it. I really like the Uvex though, its lightweight, fits me well and has a very good tensioning and strap ratchet system. I’m considering the Jakyll or the Finale. Has anyone got any experience of either?

Jakkyl:

(and with chinguard which I probably wouldn’t bother with):

Finale:

matt_outandabout

My 5 year old XP100 has a sweat band that refuses to stay put anymore, and I too was wondering what to replace it with – its a really comfy, light lid…

mboy
    Free Member

Errrrr

My XP100 isn’t 5 years old, merely 3 here, but again it’s my favourite lid ever! Nothing fits me quite as well, and that includes any of the newer Uvex lids too.

Just bought a KASK Rex the other day, jury is out so far as seems as though I’m a bit inbetween sizes as the medium is way too small but the large is quite big on me.

cnud
    Free Member

The Uvex Quatro is almost the same helmet as the old XP. Very pleased with mine as I picked it up for £40 from CRC. Didn’t get the pro version as I thought the whale tale was a bit uneeded!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Another mourning xp helmet user here. It’s only trying to find a helmet that fits as well have I realised how excellent it really was. I’ve not yet found anything that fits anything like it. The finale, linked above uses the same fit system apparently.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Half remembered slander – was there not a big controversy about Uvex helmets a couple of years ago? Something about them fabricating their safety results? Won’t touch them since. Half remembered facts are the best facts.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

http://www.bhsi.org/up1412.htm.

Well there you go. Fortunately mine didn’t fail in the crash I had.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why doesn’t anyone else use a ratchet on the chin strap? That’s what I miss most, so easy to have a bit more or less slack

Edit: ^ That’s not very reassuring. My uvex was only retired after sustaining a bit of crash damage and appeared to do it’s job. Not sure what model it was

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Interestingly, the recall was US only, where the CPCS standard want met.

stumpy01

No experience of the above, but I’ve got a Quatro which is a very comfortable helmet with a lot of adjustment.

As above, the ratchet on the strap clip is a brilliant idea that I’m surprised others don’t use.

EDIT – Oh, and it’s got bug mesh on the front nets which is handy too….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

@mboy

Nothing fits me quite as well, and that includes any of the newer Uvex lids too.

Which of the newer lids have you tried?

mboy
    Free Member

Quatro and Quatro Pro, nice but fit isn’t quite as good as the XP. The new kids linked to in the first post aren’t yet in stock in the UK (few weeks away I believe).

When I found out the XP was being discontinued, I ordered a couple of spares… Only to find that when I came to need it, someone had sold the 2 spares I’d ordered through my shop! That’ll teach me not to just put things to one side, but to actually take them home… There’s a Petrol Blue one on eBay right now, brand new, £49.99 iirc. Tempted to buy it myself actually!

bowglie

I replaced my XP with a Quattro whilst on hols in South Tyrol – found it a bit comfier than my old XP, and like it so much bought a Quattro Pro in another colour (with a bit of care, the daft whale tail can be easily unclipped).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

There’s a Petrol Blue one on eBay right now, brand new, £49.99 iirc

Not any more, thanks for the tip!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Uvex Helmets’ is closed to new replies.