Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • uuni – pizza cremator
  • kayak23

It’s artisan innit.

daftvader
    Free Member

proper pizza is supposed to be cooked very high and very fast… most pizza places in Naples have theirs done in about 60 seconds or less

coconut
    Free Member

yeah but they don’t come out burnt like all the Uuni pics.

woffle
    Free Member

we’ve got the uuni 3 and it makes spot-on pizzas in about 90 seconds. it gets up to 400+ degrees in about 15 minutes. If you over-flour your peels then that can leave burnt debris everywhere. It’s also not very high and if you stick a pizza in that’s piled up with toppings, and it’s burning ‘fresh’ pellets (rather than running white-hot so you’ve flames licking along the top) it’ll char your toppings. A ‘proper’ wood-fired oven I’d imagine has much more height to prevent this happening…

I think it’s ace.

coconut
    Free Member

Good to hear. Genuine question as I like the look of the Uuni 3 and found them for £180 new. Any suggestions for other fuel ? read you can buy pellets from plumb centre ?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

A ‘proper’ pizza oven is arse achingly expensive (£4k compared to £200 for a Uuni) and takes 4 hours to heat up (compared to 15 minutes). You also can’t take a ‘proper’ pizza oven skiing…

I’ll live with the ‘wood-fired taste’ of my crusts and I’ll eat pizza on the beach as the sun goes down thank you very much!

If you shove the pellets in a little at a time, rather than ramming the hopper to the top, you can get it to burn a little cooler. Also turning the pizza after 30 seconds and every 15 thereafter prevents it from getting too hot at one end and burning.

I don’t regret buying one and every Friday night is Pizza night!

woffle
    Free Member

I don’t regret buying one and every Friday night is Pizza night!

this.

Pellets just have to be food grade I think (if that makes sense). They’re not expensive and it doesn’t use too much – especially if, as ^^, you don’t overfill the hopper…

woffle
    Free Member

..oh, and one of the £8 laser thermometer things makes life a whole lot easier.

sadexpunk

are uunis the creme de la creme of pizza ovens then? looked into making one but itd still be expensive and a ball-ache, so may go the easy way and cheat 😀

if not, what outdoor pizza oven should i be looking at, or are they all much of a muchness? is a £140 tesco outdoor oven going to cook me the same quality pizza as a uuni?

ta

coconut
    Free Member

bit of internet research suggests these work well in Uuni’s (£4.50 for 10kg)

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/balcas-brites-wood-pellet–non-trade-10-kg/

beefheart
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking it would just make sense to get a proper pizza delivered rather than spend £200 on a pizza oven and £12 on pellets, and end up with a burnt, unevenly cooked pizza.

orangespyderman

I can’t help thinking it would just make sense to get a proper pizza delivered rather than spend £200 on a pizza oven and £12 on pellets, and end up with a burnt, unevenly cooked pizza.

Communist.

coconut
    Free Member

yeah communist!.. I just bought one online.. bit drunk so hope they are good.

pinetree
    Free Member

Disappointed. Thought this was going to be a rant about students’ inability to cook a pizza without destroying it (as i did, often, when I was a student)

frogstomp

Where was this please?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

get a proper pizza delivered

If you can find one, go for it! IME most towns in the UK lack this basic provision and offer instead either American franchise things or else a cakey bread-disc with some tom puree and mixed herbs on top.

An oven is a good investment if you like cooking. Alternatively, if you have some clay soil and a few firebricks get the family/friends to help fashion one. Lots of fun, trial and error, group effort, getting messy. Too little of this sort of stuff going on in consumer-land, I reckon.

bodgy
    Free Member

If I fancy a pizza (which is a rare treat) I will generally just go to the Stables or some other artisanal gaff, and buy one to eat in, with a nice crisp pint of cider. But generally I’d rather cook something at home that is more interesting than pizza.

chewkw
    Free Member

woffle – Member
    … the £8 laser thermometer things …

I want that. 😮

Where can I buy one for £8 … (not from ebay I hope)

woffle
    Free Member

I want that.

Where can I buy one for £8 … (not from ebay I hope)

I’ve got this one – Amazon linky: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacklife-Instant-Read-Thermometer-58-1022-Temperature-x/dp/B01MFGU4P9/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1492746040&sr=8-10&keywords=laser+thermometer

I got mine from Amazon Warehouse (I think) for something daft like £8.47 but there’s loads on there for between £6 and £60. You just have to make sure it has a broad enough temperature range if you want to use it for the Uuni. It’s great – useful for cooking full-stop…

neilc1881
    Free Member

Just ordered a themometer based on this, bought the uuni a few days ago. Fired it up and had a great social evening with friends making, cooking and sharing pizza. Nothing cremated, you do get a little burnt patch where the dough rises and the crust is very thin over an air bubble – just as I’ve had when in Italy so I guess it’s ‘authentic’!

We had some issues with very thin dough sticking to the peel unless heavily floured, anyone got a dough recipe they’d recommend?

It’ll be for use by us, but also guests in our shepherd’s huts can borrow it too. Gives them an oven to cook in which I think they’ll enjoy.

Drac

The pizzas in those pictures look lovely. The few local places near me with good ovens their pizzas come out like that.

I think coconut is to McCains pizzas.

woffle
    Free Member

We had some issues with very thin dough sticking to the peel unless heavily floured, anyone got a dough recipe they’d recommend?

The uuni one is pretty good – if you prove long enough and flour the dough balls well it helps. Ditto not shaping on the peel if you can help it – from experience if you do it tends to cause it to stick.

(the best thing we did was to buy a second peel – speeds up the process no end when cooking for the four of us because you can always have the next one ready to go)

Oh, and the thermometers are ace. My daughters had great fun walking around seeing what the surface temperature of everything is – the dogs, the pond, etc etc.

grum
    Free Member

Those pizzas aren’t burnt.

Oh and:

Yeah, and why go on holiday when you can just look at pictures of places on the internet?

orangespyderman

Yeah, and why go on holiday when you can just look at pictures of places on the internet?

Rubbish comparison. 0/10. No-one suggested just looking at pizza rather than eating it.

Try something like :

Why buy all the bits to make a house yourself when you can go and get one built by people who do it for a living with the proper tools and experience.

I think that gets the (original) point across better.

grum
    Free Member

It wasn’t meant to be a direct comparison, obviously. More a slightly facetious comment about being unable to appreciate the value of an experience.

hooli

A ‘proper’ pizza oven is arse achingly moderately expensive (£4k £350* compared to £200 for a Uuni) and takes 4 hours 45 minutes to heat up (compared to 15 minutes).

*or less if you are prepared to DIY.

benp1

Hmmm, laser thermometer purchase coming up

Love my Unni, I like the crispy bits, the black tinged bits are nice. Not burnt to a crisp, just speckled

hb70

I think that you perhaps sacrifice some of the guaranteed results of a big expensive fixed oven, for the 15 minute warmup/price/portability/speed/fun of an Unni.

But its quite a skill to get the balance between burned/soggy/not hot enough/too hot.

Which is sort of part of the joy of it all.

-drain your mozzarella
    -not to wet tom sauce
    -reduce toppings
    -don’t store pellets outside where they might get damp
    -turn every 30 seconds
    etc etc.

One last thing. We bought an old catering stainless steel table- £15 from ebay second hand, which now sits in the corner of the garden and is ACE for the whole outdoor cooking thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-CATERING-FOOD-PREP-TABLE-WORK-TOP-/201895371762?hash=item2f01e6e3f2:g:pYoAAOSw53NY9S9x

chewkw
    Free Member

woffle – Member
    … walking around seeing what the surface temperature of everything is – the dogs, the pond, etc etc.

😆 (in a very exciting Peter Griffin mode of wanting new toy)

I am going to get me the thermometer … 😛

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘uuni – pizza cremator’ is closed to new replies.