Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Uuni 3 pizza oven.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting one of these; anyone got one already?

I would be interested to read your thoughts before purchasing one. There are lots of positive videos on YT but wondered what the STW crew made of them?

Ian

cloudnine
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/portable-pizza-oven-uuni

Great fun.. takes some work getting the dough right, getting your pizza shaping skills honed and keeping a non smoky temperature in the uuni.. but makes some awesome pizza when you get it all right

isto
    Free Member

Makes awesome pizza. Bought one mid summer and have used it around 10 times so far as everyone loves the pizzas. BBQ is sitting there looking very unimpressed by the lack of use.

Drac

There’s another appearing but not a great amount of details yet.

https://www.napolioven.com/

theotherjonv

Big fan here. Take a bit of getting used to, but if you can cook on a barbecue with a bit of feel for the cooking process as opposed to just following the packets it’s a lot of fun.

Having dough problems currently though…….. never had an issue with double cold proving but recently any I’ve made has been far too sticky. Made some standard single rise / warm prove yesterday and it worked fine. In fact – might have another go in a minute with less yeast, see what difference it makes.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 6 months. I’d buy it again, we use it often and enjoy it.

It’s not exactly trouble free cooking but I can make nice pizzas reliably.

It seems to cost about £3 a go in fuel.

bruneep

I converted mine unni 2s to gas for ease of cooking. I’m sure the hatrz will hate but hey…

Use Caputo 00 flour (blue), it’s a revelation to the final product and well worth it I bought a 25kg bag split it into 1kg bags and stuck in freezer. Hope the cops dont raid me..

For dough I use an old kenwood mixer from gumtree for £30 and this http://www.pizzacreator.net/ advanced mode.

60% hydration

mix yeast in a small amount of room temp water 30ml to start it off wait 15mins, add the remaining 600ml to the flour in mixer bowl to autolyse the flour 20 mins or so later add the pre started yeast mix.

mix the yeast/flour mixture for 5 min on low and another 5 on higher setting.

Transfer to an oiled bowl to allow to double in size, once doubled I knock the air out and make 6 balls balling vid Once balled I then either put in fridge to slow prove for 24-36 hrs or freeze for easy use later.

I defrost the frozen balls in the fridge for 24-48 hrs.

Learn to shape without a rolling pin

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-mwJcNBzA[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry bruneep but I hate you. However I **** love my pellet fuelled 3. I have done 25 pizzas at a party and had them queing up for more at one point.

bruneep
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah the pro is pretty trick.
    Love the portability of the 3. Comes camping with us, took it to Cornwall on hols etc. No ghetto mods just works as it is.

theotherjonv

Is that screen shot your actual recipe (1% yeast, I assume that’s dried, and 1% salt?) for your technique above?

Because my dough’s been too sticky, I’ve gone down to 58% moisture, but I’m wondering if yeast is maybe too high for slow cold prove

Appreciate your critique of my version – I’ve been

Flour 500g (have used various types incl genuine Italian – don’t remember brand – Waitrose, MacDougalls, etc.)
    Water 290g (I use 1/3 boiling, 2/3 tap, gives me pretty close to 37 degrees and then just dump the yeast in that – will try your method)
    Yeast 7g (so 7/500 = 1.4% vs your 10.6/1050 = 1% on a w/w flour basis)
    Salt 10g (so double yours)
    Olive oil 15-20g, but keep some back to oil the bowl as you do – no oil in yours?

Last night made dough to that recipe (scaled back) but just left for 90mins to rise and then portioned and it stretched fine, but flavour was very plain – definitely prefer the effect of the longer prove.

bruneep

Yup thats the recipe I use, dried yeast it defaults to a higher salt content I always lower it. Salt goes into flour and water in main bowl and 30ml water and yeast in another. Read somewhere that the salt kills the yeast (could be bollox)

No oil in mix just for the bowl to stop flour mix sticking when proving.

Try if you can the caputo 00 flour the higher gluten content really makes a difference as does the longer prove in fridge when balled.

infidel
    Free Member

Another positive recommendation here. Had ours about 6 months and used 8 or so times. Little bit of a learning curve bit it’s a fun learn. I used the same pellets we heat our house with as fuel so it’s cost maybe £3 so far (each use has made about 6 pizzas) and I make a sourdough base using Dan Lepards recipe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Uuni 3 pizza oven.’ is closed to new replies.