Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Utility warehouse broadband
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone has experience of the above, but I bought my elderly Mum an iPad this week and popped round to set it up for her. Despite a good wifi signal the speed seemed awful so did s speed check and download speed was 0.1 mb. FFS! I called them and they said it was because the router was not plugged into the main bt socket and it might now take ten days for the speed to improve.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Sounds like bollox to me it let me know if you have please?

Cougar

Plug it into the test socket, see what happens.

As I understand it, regular ADSL will negotiate a speed when it’s first installed, and will reduce the connection speed if it keeps dropping (which is why they tell you not to turn it off for the first few weeks). Once it’s trained though, that’s what it’ll try to connect at, give or take.

Presumably, they’ve put it back into “training” mode if they’ve said it’ll take ten days to sort itself out. However, if you’re still at the end of a load of crappy internal extension wiring it’s not going to make any difference.

charliew

My parents in-law continually power down their router which results in a really slow connection. Make sure it’s left on all the time and in the master socket. ADSL speed does alter over time depending on drop outs etc.

bigblackshed

The other problem you may have, after all the technical issues, is that Utility Warehouse use the Talk Talk equipment and support structure. They are at the mercy of Talk Yalk when it becomes an equipment problem at the exchange.

ourmaninthenorth

Has anyone got any experience of this? Sounds like bollox to me it let me know if you have please?

It’s called DLM – dynamic line management. Using a series of algorithms at the network level factors line “noise” on the line, distance from exchange, etc. are used to balance speed vs reliability. Every ISP uses it – either built in house or bought from a third party.

I called them and they said it was because the router was not plugged into the main bt socket

All ADSL routers work best in the main BT socket. Otherwise, you are the mercy of internal house wiring, which the ISP/BT Openreach have no control over. Unscrew the front of the main socket, and there is another “test” socket behind it. Plug the router into that and leave it switched on.

The other problem you may have, after all the technical issues, is that Utility Warehouse use the Talk Talk equipment and support structure. They are at the mercy of Talk Yalk when it becomes an equipment problem at the exchange.

Specifically it’s TalkTalk Business, the B2B/wholesale business of TalkTalk (i.e. pretty much autonomous from the TalkTalk retail brand). However, the customer service, billing etc. remains with Utility Warehouse.

My guess? This is to do with a bunch of other factors, and who operates the underlying network will be way down the list.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks all. I did plug it into the main socket before testing it again and apparently there was nothing at all the following day. Will do as suggested.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Utility warehouse broadband’ is closed to new replies.