Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Utility Bikes/Trailers
  • Swiftacular
    Free Member

Looking at getting an allotment with the wife, and as its a little trek to get there, and we’ll want to lump stuff there and back.
    A BigDummy is out of the question , so whats the best option otherwise? Xtracycle kit seems expensive, and a Yuba cheap for what it is, but more than id want to spend.
    Are there any trailers worth considering? Its to go on my PA btw.

STATO
    Free Member

edinburgh cycles one is supposed to be ok and they have 15% off this weekend.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Have you already got a bike with a rack at all?

If you have, I’d have thought the cheapest thing to do might be to work on making that as versatile and suitable for your particular needs as possible. Can you, for example, rig something to carry your tools upright, like a piece of drainpipe capped off at the bottom and bolted to the rack upright, or maybe experiment with running tools along the line of the bike like you might with tent poles. You can probably increase the carrying capacity of your rack quite a lot by fastening a plastic box to the top of it with pipe clips, zipties or something, or use a wire basket with a cargo net over the top. That sort of thing.

While the Dummy is fantastic, I reckon there’s a lot to be done with a regular bike and rack if you’re a bit creative with it. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Swiftacular
    Free Member

Nope, no bike with rack, and the only bike i had with rack mounts was stolen out of the garage a while ago, hence looking a trailer options…
    Nice ideas though BD, just would necessitate a whole new bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Boogaire, as the french don’t say.

I’d second the EBC trailer I think in that case. Or a Carry Freedom one if you’re pushed for storage space?

How good at making stuff are you? If you google around there are quite a few plans for building simple trailers out there. They’re beyond my modest building abilities, but might be worth a look.

scotia
    Free Member

carry freedom..the large Y one. I got the samll and its the business for stuff like that – you can put what you want on the flat bed.

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Quite like my Kona Ute. I’m using for hauling the kids around on the back, but I reckon if you strapped some crates either side it could haul quite a lot. Certainly it is a hell of a lot easier to nip about on than bike+trailer, but probably then lack the stability or ultimate load carrying. Looked at a Yuba, great but the parts looked cheap and it weighed a ton…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Utility Bikes/Trailers’ is closed to new replies.