Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Utah, Arizona & Colorado riding – any locals on here?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We spent a few weeks, mainly around Moab last September. We tried to do some riding around Durango, but most of the high country trails were closed due to snow.

Next year we’re going again, but it will have to be between May and mid July. I’d love to ride in Moab again, but if we are going to go at a time when the high stuff in Colorado is snow free, then I guess Moab is going to be too hot?

Any locals on here that can give advice on when the trails like Hermosa Creek etc are likely to be open? And is it really mad to spend a couple of days in Moab riding some uplifted stuff in May / June? It was 35 degrees C in Chamonix last July, and certainly wasnt unrideable.

I’d also like to take in some stuff around Flagstaff and Sedona.

cheers

TooTall
    Free Member

Moab gets up to 35-ish around the end of June so go earlier in the month if you can. Saying that, I find the dry heat there easier to cope with than the humidity here on the East coast and would rather ride 35 C there than here in Virginia.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Tootall. any ideas on Colorado around that time?

TooTall
    Free Member

Colorado Springs never really gets hotter than 30 in August. June to August are the wettest months there, but only a couple of inches anyway. I don’t know about specific mountain and whether the snow lasts, but unlikely by June.

ampthill

Its not possible to go in September or early October and have your cake and eat it? I know you said otherwise but just to be clear that’s when high Trails are open and Moab cooler

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Unfortunately not (though the reason I cant is bike related, and pretty good too).

The high snow arrived in Moab (La Sals) the second week of October this year, which was earlier than I expected.

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

agentdagnamit,

Drop me a line when things get closer. I’m located in New Mexico (only 3hr from Durango, 5 from Sedona/Salida) and should be able to give you a good rundown (and maybe pop up to join). Hermosa and the Colorado Trail near Durango could well be open by then- but it depends on the snow on any given year. Monarch Crest in Salida is fantastic and usually opens around 4th July but the lower trails will be open. Taos (South Boundary Trail is a classic), Santa Fe, and Albuquerque will all be clear in May without being terribly hot.

Marc B

busydog
    Free Member

What mlbasiliere said.

Crested Butte is good, but like most of CO, the higher trails can be open early and sometimes not until early July in a heavy snow year. Except for the higher mountain trails, Arizona will likely already be pretty hot in a normal year by mid-May. A lot of the Arizona trails, particularly near Phoenix and Tucson are great during the winter months.
    Angel Fire here in New Mexico has been developing a trail-center around the ski area, but I haven’t ridden it–but likely mostly snow free by May.

markgraylish
    Free Member

A lot depends on whether 2014 turns out to be a good or bad snow year so probably too early to say.

Flagstaff AZ may be an option as it’s pretty high so may be doable in your time frame.
    North Rim of the Grand Canyon/Rainbow Rim and the Arizona Trail could be other options (+8,000 above seal level…)

busydog
    Free Member

North Rim of the Grand Canyon/Rainbow Rim

Used to camp along the North rim before mountain biking really caught on like it is now.
    Are the trails pretty good up there?

markgraylish
    Free Member

Are the trails pretty good up there?

Yes, nice swoopy [though non-technical] riding with great scenery. Not in the actual National Park though and they are quite a way off-the-beaten-path.
    I was there about 15 months ago and I believe some more connecting trails are going to be/have been put in place.

Kiril
    Free Member

I’ve been to Moab in high summer twice (I’m a teacher so no choice). I just got up and on to the trails early. The Trails around Las Vegas were good and it was a bit cooler!

Great riding just get yourself organised!

busydog
    Free Member

Yeah, the North Rim is really great scenery and being about 1000 feet higher, is cooler than the South Rim and not much in the way of a lot of people (at least when I was going up there camping/hiking). Going to have to give that a try on the bike this summer. It’s about an 11+ hour drive from Albuquerque so not a weekend trip

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

gribble
    Free Member

Hi, I recommend posting on one of the state specific forums on mtbr. A Very active forum (like stw) and some very helpful answers from locals, in my experience. I found it helpful when planning trips to Lake Tahoe and North Carolina.

Very jealous – trip sounds awesome. Cool way to avoid the winter blues, having a trip like that to plan for in the new year.

I live in Colorado, used to live in the high country. Some seasons there will still be snow on the trails in June/July, especially in the tree covered areas.

Drop me a line when things get closer,should be able to give you a good rundown (and maybe pop up to join).

This goes for me too!

Also Marc B and Busydog we should meet somewhere in the middle for a ride next year!

crankinirish
    Free Member

Hey 10. Where are you based now? I’m in Denver, I ride the foothills regularly year round and get up to the high country as much as I can in the summer. Usually get out to Fruita/GJ/Moab at least once a year too. If you ever need a riding partner let me know.

Crankinirish – I’m in South Denver now. I’d be up for doing something for sure, email is in my profile.

kettlefishbanana

Agentdagnamit,

We just moved back from Albuquerque to Oxford. Sedona is great fun and very good at that time of year as it isn’t too hot. However it will be busy. I recommend staying in Oak Creek (village just south of Sedona) as it is the heart of the bike trails and usually half the price and half the busy of Sedona.
    I would second all the comments about Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque trails and the Angel Fire trails are not only completed, but will rock your world. Fast flowing singletrack through the trees. Very well designed area. Drop me an email if you need more info. Will follow this thread.
    Ps love Moab as well.

Guy

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks guys. i might get in touch nearer the time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Utah, Arizona & Colorado riding – any locals on here?’ is closed to new replies.