Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Usually buy a 216 x 63mm Shock, will a 216 x 57mm be ok?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hi all

Not really sure what the latter number really means. I know the first is eye to eye so in theory it will fit fine.

Will my bike blow up with the 6mm difference?

Thanks!
    TomO

neilwheel
    Free Member

Do you want less travel?

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Right ok is that the only difference? Running a 160mm travel bike so will it simply turn into a 154mm travel?

If the eye to eye is the same I presume geometry would stay the same?

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

It will reduce your 160 to 160×57/63.

rab5474
    Free Member

You will loose 6mm of shock travel but that translates to around 15mm of wheel travel. unless it’s a special shock for a special price i would just get the correct shock size.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ah right ok, I’ll try and find the correct size.

Thanks for the help.

rab5474
    Free Member

Also you may get a tiny geometry difference (probably unoticable). As the bike will be designed to work with around 30% sag of a shock with a 63mm stroke length. 30 % sag on a 57mm stroke shock will slightly steepen the geo under sag.

Hope this makes sence

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hi Rab

That does make sense thanks, I never thought about what the small mill in travel on the shock affects to the actual wheel travel.

The only issue I currently have is looking at the SRAM website for the new Monarch Plus they offer the following:

216x57mm, 216x63mm with Specialized mount,

Looking into the specialized mount it’s commented that – Specialized bikes have non-standard shock mounts as well a their Autosag feature

So I have no idea if that will fit an Alpine 160? lol

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ignore me!! Found one 😀 The world makes sense again!

rab5474
    Free Member

If it helps i have just bought a monarch plus debonair in 216×63 standard mounting, they are pretty readily available i got mine from jtech

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Yeah I just found them online so have just purchased. It just so happened everywhere I looked showed the specialized / trek tunes hence my confusion.

Just ordered one from Germany, it appears the uk distributor is out of stock fo them until November.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid?

Thanks for your help tonight mate.

davosaurusrex

What are you running the debonair on rab? Let us know what you think when you’ve had a good go on it please

rab5474
    Free Member

Around the £400 mark however that siunds expensive it’s considering everything you get with it. The reason i didnt go down the german route was that aftermarket the shock is only available in a medium tune . And i need a low tune for my mega. Jim at jtech tunes the shock to youand your bike

davosaurusrex

Gsuperstar – which site? Bikediscount were showing them out of stock when I looked yesterday

rab5474
    Free Member

Running the debonair on a 2013 mega am first impression is really impressive tracks really well in the rough stuff

GSuperstar
    Free Member

To be honest the only reason I went German was I needed a medium tune and they said stock would be in September. I have a holiday in November so didn’t want to risk the UK stock not turning up in time.

I buy all my other bits mainly through bike stores so I can be forgiven this once 🙂

Davo – I ordered it through R2-bike.de

davosaurusrex

Cheers fellas. Need a low tune for my Sultan, I reckon around £70 to carry out. Loco – sound right? I know you’re watching……

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Usually buy a 216 x 63mm Shock, will a 216 x 57mm be ok?’ is closed to new replies.