Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • UST tyre recommendations?
  • z1ppy

Never been interest in tubeless, but as I bought a bike with tubeless rims (and one bald tyre), thought I might try it out… so then what would you recommend?

also the previous owner recommended getting a CO2 canister to fit the tyre properly (especially out on the trail), what are your thoughts on this? (I have a track pump but no compressor..)

DustyLilac
    Free Member

2.35 Ignitors work very well on Prophets

spooky_b329

Co2 is useful for getting a new tyre seated as its often difficult to seal where the bead has been folded. Once its on you should be able to manage it with a trackpump. Make sure you get some sealant as well.

Krooges
    Free Member

2.35 ignitor LUST

z1ppy

Dusty, that the kind of recommendation i like.

no R_R or nobby nicks recommednations though? (LBS have a load in ..)

okay dokey.. sounds like a plan.

dickie
    Free Member

Nobby Nic’s or Fat Alberts. Use with JRC wheel milk. When inflating try suspending the wheel not supported on the trye if you know what I mean.

doug_basqueMTB.com

been using big earls 2.35″ wet tubeless ready, quite light and working fantastically with 819’s and bonty milk.

Thoughts so far. Hard to get seated first time (compressor) but pumped up fine once seated. Rear wore quite quickly but I’m doing a lot of miles and at the start of the year was riding a bit on the roads. Grips very well and is predicatable in all conditions apart from very muddy where both tires fail badly. NO punctures in 3.5 months of riding most days on very tough terrain, rocky, steep, thorns etc. Had front tyre burp once doing a fast drop where I caught a rock with the sidewall, tyre pressure was already very low due to trying to cope with a muddy descent previously.

Had 2 flats overnight which were rectified by adding more milk and pumping.

Back tyre is now very worn (semi slick) and has a few deep cuts in it but I’ll get another week out of it (been saying that for about 3 weeks now!)

I’m going to put on 2.35 LUST Highrollers next, super tacky front and 70a back, but that’s because of what I can get online and shipped over here. If I could get more Big Earls I’d use them again.

scruff
    Free Member

Doug, Bonty ACX 2.35 are good if you want soemthing a bit lighter / faster than big girls. Seem to wear very well too.

I could only get supertacky UST High rollers, couldnt get anything harder. Drag liek an anchor only only use the xtra grip on rocks/roots.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I love my Nobby Nics. Can’t believe how good they are in most conditions and appear to wear okay so far.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I just fitted a halo choir master, only £20 quid on CRC and it grips well on gravelly stuff, you can’t go wrong with high roller though.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

UST rims + UST tyres=easy inflation

if you need CO2 or a compressor you must be doing something wrong.

I’ve had no problems inflating and getting the bead to seat RR NN and bonty acx TR with a topeak mountain morph.

The NN has so much more grip than the Bonty ACX but I get left for dead by mates with High Rollers

The Racing Ralph are awesome in the dry and on wet roots, but deadly on slippery mud

glenh
    Free Member

This is true. If you are using a tyre with a tubeless bead (tubless ready, UST, 2bliss, TNT) then there should be no need for anything other than a normal pump.

Jon – pinch flatted the sidewalls of my ACX in the lakes at easter (and Jo broke his hand!), so I’m going to try a spesh eskar 2bliss – hopefully will be a bit stronger and grippier than the ACX without too much extra lard.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘UST tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.