Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ust tyre exploded on me!
  • I’m pretty good with ust. Just putting on a 2.25 rocket Ron schwalbe on xt ust rims. Applied stans fluid and then pumped like a demon. The whole thing just exploded! Fluid everywhere! Really loud

Can’t see any obvious damage to the bead but it seems to be baggy in one part and now just explodes whenever I put air in (though nowhere near as loud as the first time)

Tyres aren’t new but they have been on these rims before. I haven’t put an tube in to give it the shape as yet cos I’ve never had a problem before

Rims are fine
    Value is doing what isn’t supposed to do
    I daren’t continue now cos I don’t like big bangs!

Any suggestions?

29erKeith
    Free Member

bloody loud when they go aren’t they 😯

I had a numb hand and was rendered nie of deaf for a few min’s after similar happened to me in my small metal roofed garage. Also ruined the t-shirt and shorts I had on, the Jiz’ went everywhere and doesn’t come out

My problem was the tyre wasn’t seated properly I think. School boy error, one I will not make again 😳

if the tyre rim combo’s a bit baggy then much more likly to happen again or burp

geoffj
    D0NK

oh my god someone* saved the thread, will have to have a read of that again soon.

*drac I guess from the link

br
    Free Member

Use new tyres next time?

dickie
    Free Member

What rim’s & how old are the tyres?

RobHilton
    Free Member

My experience of Rocket Rons wasn’t quite as dramatic, but it wasn’t fun.

You are the badger and ICMFP

D0NK – Member
    oh my god someone* saved the thread, will have to have a read of that again soon.
    *drac I guess from the link
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Am I missing something here? I’d this an old school boys joke that you tell each other whilst slapping each others hineys?

Tyres are about 6 months old with 1 months riding on them before storage. Rims about 14 months old. Thanks I will read that link. I’ve fitted dozens of tubeless/ust with and without schwalbe. Never had this before

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

if these are second hand then chances are the bead is knackered! i had a pair given me by a mate who didnt at the time run UST (these were UST racing ralphs), and he just stored them folded un-neatly etc…..when i came to put them on, the tyre would start seating then all of a sudden BAAAAAAAAAAAANG, and it exploded off the rim…i even tried running it with a tube, and it still burst off

it was either a faulty batch of tyres full stop, or the way my mate had stored them had knackered the bead…..

Garry_Lager

I’ve had that once or twice with a Nobby Nic – one pumping and one just went sitting in the garage overnight. It seems to bollox the bead for good, although I couldn’t actually see any deformation – v. annoying if it’s a newish tyre.
    This is 2 times over 10 years of UST, mind. I’d still happily use Schwalbe tyres.

Read the links and I guess I’ve just been lucky for the last 5 years?

I toying with fitting them with a tube, go for a spin with hope (silly I know) they might sort the bead out. My storage method isn’t the best on reflection. Just never had this before?

Thanks for the links. Ho hum

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

putting a tube in wont sort it, it will just rip your tube and still blast the tyre off, if its the same thing i had.

tyres knackered, i tried to get shcwalbe to warranty it, but they said it will have been caused by storage….

D0NK

Am I missing something here? I’d this an old school boys joke that you tell each other whilst slapping each others hineys?

not old school and definitely no slapping anywhere either 😯 just some of us have sent far too much time on here for far too long oh and one of the funniest thread I’ve ever read 🙂 bloody hell, 9 years ago.

I’d guess your tyre bead is knackered and I wouldn’t trust it again, I’d get a TR (or, dare I say it, UST) tyre to go with a UST rim.

I’ll take your advice OW and dump the tube

Damn it my shopping list grows

X2 new tyres
    Stans fluid
    New cassette
    Cleats
    Large chain ring
    Crank bros candy service kit
    LED bulb
    New outers
    Lube
    And odi grips

= about loads o money

_tom_
    Free Member

Any suggestions?

Cheers D0NK

So what’s the best way of storing spare tyres? Tube?

Don’t want the mountain kings to go the same way 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

Re the 2003 thread above, does the actual photo exist anywhere, I wanna know what he go so upset about…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

when my mate gave me the tyres they were basically like snakes, moving in the grass (all over the place), they looked new enough but the way he had stored them just apperance liked he’d just scrunched them up and put in a bin bag…

ive never done this, and never had an issue reseating older tyres, i try to fold them over layer up layer (as they come out of the packaging more or less), then use a ziptie to keep them in place….

im fairly positive (without knowing you etc) that the storage has caused your issue too, in the end i just chucked them away…as i say didnt pay for them but id be gutted if i did at 45 quid a pop

soobalias
    Free Member

i suspect the perfect way to store them is on a spare rim, suspended and lightly inflated.

that said, how long were the tyres stored (folded up) by your supplier?

temperature, sunlight and possibly humidity have to be considerations too

FuzzyWuzzy
    pete68
    Free Member

Just knew this would be Schwalbe before I opened this thread. I’ve had a couple go in the past. Mostly use Maxxis now

geoffj

slimjim78
    Free Member

quality!
    sitting here chuckling like a fool.

also now worried about my tendancy to go past 40psi on schwalbes when inflating with my compressor 😯

Radioman

Had me in fits of laughter again as it did when first came out… I’m definitely yes tubes these days!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ust tyre exploded on me!’ is closed to new replies.