Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • using windows xp ? yay or nay
  • pete68
    Free Member

What’s the reality of using a computer with windows xp now. I know that it’s no longer supported but is it really going to cause a problem? I’ve also read that using Firefox is more secure than ie. I barely use my computer these days as a tablet does 99% of what I want. However there’s some things I can’t do. Can I use it or do I have to buy a new one, if so what’s a good basic laptop?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I have a vintage 2002 PC that’s still running XP, it rarely gets used however. Yes you can use it, even tho it’s no longer supported.

Firefox combined with the NoScript addon should stop a lot of nasty goings on.

nullpointer
    Free Member

If you don’t need it to be online then it’ll be absolutely fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowjo
    Free Member

I use it every day. OK it is on a virtual machine via OSX but it is absolutely fine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s unsupported not dead – but it’s a risk someone somewhere will find out how to exploit it and the shit will hit the fan – if you’re a home user, really where’s the danger?

If you’re a business user and someone steals your customer data base and the ICO comes knocking about your Data Protect issues or whatever else – then you’ve got no one to blame but yourself.

I don’t use it because it’s a bit shit these days, but not as shit as XP era hardware.

slowjo
    Free Member

The thing is…Win 7 licences are somewhat difficult to get hold of and most folk I know hate Win8. I am waiting for Win10 in the hope that it works better than 8. If it does, then I’ll change.

footflaps

If you buy a pro Win8 license you get downgrade rights to W7, which is what most businesses are doing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Win7 Home is hard to find MS dropped it recently – you can buy ‘codes’ but they all seem dodgy as hell to me. You can buy Win7Pro of course, but who wants to spend that much on a PC that might die next week.

I’m told if you can find the media you can install it and buy a genuine licence via the ‘Get Genuine’ function.

WIn8.1 is a fine OS, it takes a bit of getting used to – but if anyone thinks 10 is going to just be 7 with an 8 style start menu they might be bitterly disappointed – yes it looks a bit more like 7 for the ‘faster horses’ crowd but it is in now way going to be a backward step.

mogrim

Win 8 is fine, assuming it runs on your old hardware. Most of the complaints seem to be based around the new UI, which takes a bit of getting used to. Win 8.1 allows you to use the more classic style desktop.

Another option would be to install Ubuntu / Mint / your linux distro of choice. Unless you need some particular Windows-only software, of course. (My Suunto needs Windows or Mac to synch properly, no linux app available…)

pete68
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes I’m a home user and it would be for online use. One of the main things I want to use it for is route planning and then sending that to a garmin unit. Can’t do that on an I pad,except on garmin connect but that’s a bit crap.

slowjo
    Free Member

It is the software that is the problem. 32 bit only. The new 64 bit version is pants and keeps crashing.

I am exploring alternatives. If I can find something that runs remotely via a browser, then I’ll dump Winxx and stick to OSX

jota180
    Free Member

Windows POS Ready 2009 is still supported (for a few years yet) and is pretty much XP

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Windows 7 users get a free upgrade to Windows 10.
    Just announced.

Cougar

I’m told if you can find the media you can install it and buy a genuine licence via the ‘Get Genuine’ function.

Assuming that to be true, the media is easy enough. Google “Windows 7 digital river” for the official ISOs.

chewkw
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member

Just announced.

Where is the announcement? Link please. 😀

Also if you are using Win XP you can buy AppGurard 4 or soon 5 … (life time license with only paying the difference if they come up with new upgrade or version). This is a very good defense against attack as you can lock down you system completely without nothing being able to install on your system.

I will be buying AppGuard (finally, now available for 64 bits for XP, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 and in future Win10) soon so will only use Microsoft Security Essential for virus scanning and other free on-demand scanner (MBAM) to scan from time to time.

AppGuard will prevent ALL installations if you do a full lock down but you can whitelist those you think are safe.

😀

simon_g

It will still run. The current versions of your software will run.

You won’t get security updates. People will go on figuring out new exploits, and you’ll be exposed to them. It’s not just businesses that need to worry about data protection, what’s in files on your computer that you wouldn’t want spread to all and sundry? What about if someone was logging your keystrokes – passwords and all?

Even putting all that aside, end of Microsoft support means people making software won’t feel compelled to support it either. Things like Garmin Express – it supports XP now, but it won’t always. You’ll buy some new bit of hardware that needs software on a PC to work, but it won’t run on XP because they never intended it to be supported on there.

Given how cheap hardware is these days (and way faster than XP-era stuff) there’s not much reason to stick with it now.

chewkw
    Free Member

simon_g – Member
    You won’t get security updates. People will go on figuring out new exploits, and you’ll be exposed to them. It’s not just businesses that need to worry about data protection, what’s in files on your computer that you wouldn’t want spread to all and sundry? What about if someone was logging your keystrokes – passwords and all?

That’s where AppGuard comes into play by preventing all exploits.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Worth also considering upgrading is that 8.1 is a ‘lighter’ OS than 7.

Free upgrade to 10 from 7 – bugger, great for users not great for IT support co’s – we’ll be burning the midnight oil on that one.

chewkw
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

Worth also considering upgrading is that 8.1 is a ‘lighter’ OS than 7.

Free upgrade to 10 from 7 – bugger, great for users not great for IT support co’s – we’ll be burning the midnight oil on that one.

Bugger all for me really if my Microsoft Office is not given for free with the Window 10 free upgrade.

Bear in mind, I have already paid for my Microsoft Office 2010 in full and I don’t want to keep paying Microsoft Office 365 in Window 10.

😯

scotroutes

Where is the announcement? Link please. [/quote]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, but nothing mentioned about Mircrosoft Office though. 🙄

Window 10 free upgrade is useless without free Mircrosoft Office upgrade.

scotroutes

Yes, but nothing mentioned about Mircrosoft Office though.
    Window 10 free upgrade is useless without free Mircrosoft Office upgrade.
    [/quote]To you perhaps.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I know I’m going to regret this…

Chew, why do you believe you’ll need to buy office again?

chewkw
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member

I know I’m going to regret this…

Chew, why do you believe you’ll need to buy office again?

Because I have Microsoft Office 2010 (paid for) and there is no mentioned about Microsoft Office in the upgrade except showing or tendency to advocate Microsoft Office 365 (subscription only). Hence my question.

😮

scotroutes

But why not just install Office 2010 on Windows 10?

scaredypants

I had office 97, then 2007 working on W10 beta-thingy

I wouldn’t be crazy enough to try office 2010 though 😯

chewkw
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    But why not just install Office 2010 on Windows 10?

I shall wait for their formal announcement before I attempt to avoid being screwed.

scaredypants – Member
    I had office 97, then 2007 working on W10 beta-thingy

I wouldn’t be crazy enough to try office 2010 though

Thanks for that information. 😀

hhhmm … if Office 97 and 2007 work in W10 beta I think Office 2010 should work but I shall wait and see …

P-Jay
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t office ’10 work with Windows 10? It works with 8 just fine.

365 is more than the next Office suite in that respect its Office 2013 at the moment.

chewkw
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

Why wouldn’t office ’10 work with Windows 10? It works with 8 just fine.

365 is more than the next Office suite in that respect its Office 2013 at the moment.

It should work but I shall wait and see before I upgrade to Win 10 as my hardware may not be able to support it. I am still on IE 9 as I am unable to upgrade to IE 10 no matter how I try. All regular Microsoft Updates are fine.

allthepies
    Free Member

My primary work dev machine is still running XP 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Just announced.

Hot diggety damn!

scotroutes

You think Microsoft should upgrade your hardware too?

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Just announced.

Hot diggety damn! [/quote]

Same here … 😆

scotroutes – Member
    You think Microsoft should upgrade your hardware too?

No. I don’t expect that. I am saying my hardware may not support it so might not be a good idea if I upgrade and get messy later on or I should make sure I upgrade my hardware esp graphic card before upgrading to Win 10 … 🙄

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Your all a little premature. Yes you get a free upgrade, but only for one year. Then you have to buy it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We’re still using XP at work, I think we’re (EDF) paying MS for extended support.
    The rumour is that we’ll be changing to Windows 7 later this year.
    I had to change to Windows 8.1 late last year and really quite like it.

chewkw
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

Your all a little premature. Yes you get a free upgrade, but only for one year. Then you have to buy it.

😯 I thought they said free Win 10 upgrade available for 1 year so that everyone can get on the same platform. Late adopter after 1 year should have to pay? No?

scotroutes

Not so

Windows 10 will be free to end users. At least it will be a free upgrade. Users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Phone will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 on their devices, for free. This is guaranteed for the first year of the new OS’s shelf life, but we would be surprised if it didn’t remain free – depending on uptake.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-10-uk-release-date-price-features-beta-technical-preview-launch-event-update-upgrade-spartan-screenshots-insider-tcs/

cookeaa

I’ve started playing with different small Linux distro’s booting from an SD card as an alternative to using an ageing OEM Windows installation, or buying a new licence…

It’s quite fun trying a different OS every few weeks and it not costing me anything…

chewkw
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

I’ve started playing with different small Linux distro’s booting from an SD card as an alternative to using an ageing OEM Windows installation, or buying a new licence…

I would do that only if I can use Microsoft Office … arrghhh …

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/windows-10-free-for-all-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

I think you guys are right, but the wording of this article is a little ambiguous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘using windows xp ? yay or nay’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts