Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Using the word 'loosing/loose', when you actually mean 'losing/lose'
  • ads678

That’ll do… 🙂

nickc

That’ll do.

adding -n to the end of words to make them past tense is just about as archaic as -ed.

edlong
    Free Member

People should of got this right by now. Its definitely there fault. Its as bad as people whom set out to deliberately split infinitives

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What is it, pacifically, that annoys you??

kayak23

Loosing instead of losing has to be the number one crime these days.

It’s got so bad that when people actually write losing, I find myself having to read it back as if the right might be wrong. Aaaaaggggghhhhh!

While we’re there, can we stop adding ‘y’ onto the ends of words where there is no need?

Such as, ‘I like the decor, it looks all vintagey’ kind of looks ‘antiquey’….

Please stop.

perchypanther
    Free Member

While we’re there, can we stop adding ‘y’ onto the ends of words where there is no need?

Bit complainey there.

whitestone
    Free Member

Plurals aren’t formed by adding “‘s” to the singular, i.e. the plural of family is families not family’s.

kayla1
    Free Member

Also see ‘brought’ instead of ‘bought. Stop it you **** idiots.

kayla1
    Free Member

Can somebody cleverer than me write a virus that shuts a user’s device down after three grammar/spelling mistakes? Free strike’s and your out… ah, balls.

prawny

Thieved is a perfectly good past tense version of thieve.

I think you mean Teefed.

sbob
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

I blame autocorrect on phones.

I blame morons.
    A one week ban for the culprits would soon reverse the trend, as well as finally giving the mods a sense of purpose. 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I could care less.

Murray

I give you the village where I grew up – and the WI
    [video]https://youtu.be/rYr9zFHaWQc[/video]

Spelt Loose, pronounced /lu?z/

Tinners

It’s not just spelling. Someone on here (and I wouldn’t dream of being rude enough to be any more specific than that) has the loosest grasp (see what I did there) of punctuation that I’ve ever seen. “Idea’s” is my favourite. Makes my brain do a little recoil and double take every time. Life would be dull without it.
    I’m not immune either. It’s interesting how the brain works. I sometimes type a “their” when I mean “they’re” and it’s not until I read it back that I can see that it’s clearly wrong and have to correct it.

iancity1
    Free Member

There seems to be quite a spate of people starting to use “aloud” on my Facebook, when they clearly mean “allowed”. Some of the people using it I can understand why, but others are actually quite educated and in real life appear normal…yet still ask “selling some bikes if its aloud on here” f’ristance …

😐

bencooper
    Free Member

There are people alive – real adults who presumably can feed and dress themselves – who think the item of furniture that you keep your socks in is a “chester draws”.

DrP

Once, when abroad,a menu had ‘sheper spy’ as a dish….

Brilliant…!!

DrP

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I blame Facebook for allowing the morons a voice.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Threads like this make me laugh, alot.

boblo
    Free Member

Off of, could of, should of.

Ferk, Ferk, ferkity ferk. Please, please stop it.

antigee

That sign makes no sense…what are the loose women going to institute?

allthepies
    Free Member

Said losers in background.

Cougar

There seems to be quite a spate of people starting to use “aloud” on my Facebook, when they clearly mean “allowed”.

They’re the same ones who refer to their female child as their “dorta.”

*twitch*

whitestone
    Free Member

Surely that’s “dor’a” innit?

Nico
    Free Member

In the faecal position.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The one that gets me is people who say ‘tele’, when they mean ‘telly’.

BUT

I mentioned this to a mate the other night and he said “what’re you talking about? ‘tele’ is correct cos it’s short for ‘television’. And by god he’s right. Still looks wrong to me though.

DrP

I spend my days examining people’s prostrates.

And the number of people with a 3 hour history of chronic pain is incredible… of course, chronic refers to an extended time, rather than level of severity…

DrP

bencooper
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24FYYE]"Soup's, Bovril's, Coffee's"[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

DrP

Local to me (well, not that local TBH) is a crappy looking ” CAF’E “.
    WTAF!

DrP

Cougar

Acute accent fell over?

This abomination is in Blackburn: https://goo.gl/maps/TmNAt8CZhVT2

DezB
    Free Member

@bencooper – why the hell is “HOT” in quotes?!

Pz_Steve

In a similar vein to the OP, “led” seems to be written with an extra “a” more often than not.

“She lead me up the garden path” for example.

Hey ho, for all that it annoys me when I see it, I guess it’s just part of the natural mutation of language. Won’t be long before led, lose, thieved and the rest will be regarded as archaic alternative spellings. And schedule will be pronounced with a hard “ch” (my personal bugbear) in Correct English

Mumble, mumble, cocoa, slippers…..

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Using the word 'loosing/loose', when you actually mean 'losing/lose'’ is closed to new replies.