Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Using the Concepts of Leverage and Inertia….
  • turboferret

Just browsing Kiskstarter and discovered this utterly laughable project, which unsurprisingly hasn’t found many backers so far.

The video is hilarious, provides no data as to why his bent crank would be any better, or any logic.

Made me chuckle at any rate!

Cheers, Rich

jameso

Firstly I was impressed that they’d got a patent on an old idea, but in the USA you can patent a nail. Then I read this

If you can support us with $150 we will send you a set of Z-Torque cranks in clear epoxy with either Red, Blue or Yellow carbon fiber / kevlar exposed for a super cool look to match that yellow track suit you have…

and thought maybe it’s a joke ) much like the cranks.

wwaswas

These are where it was really at;

richen987
    Free Member

at no point do you get to see the cranks in action, on a bike or any kind of data supporting that bent crank arms would be better than straight ones.

nedrapier

Those look amazing! If you follow it round, they’re almost pedalling themselves by the time you get to the bottom bracket!

2 each for all my bikes!

bencooper
    Free Member

Brilliant – first looking at it, it looked like it was some kind of compound lever. There have been a few designs like that, to alter the shape of the power stroke, and they do work.

However that was just because he had two on top of each other. Yep, he’s an idiot 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

to alter the shape of the power stroke, and they do work

how?

bencooper
    Free Member

Wen I say “work” I mean in the limited sense that they can make the pedal stroke more efficient – pedaling in a circle is not necessarily the most effective use of the muscles.

The only one I’ve properly tried was a K-drive on a recumbent – it produces an oval pedal path which feels odd to start with but it is noticeable that you’re pushing “straight” not around in a circle.

There’s another one (the name escapes me) which uses springs on the cranks to remove the “dead point” – the top crank springs forwards a bit when the bottom crank is at the dead point, so there’s less power let-off at the end of the stroke.

globalti
    Free Member

Must be a Nigerian inventor.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Using the Concepts of Leverage (dubious unsubstantiated claims) and Inertia (people wanting to ‘crowd source’ something)….to part gullible people from their money.
    I like the idea of crowd sourcing to fund worthy projects that have little chance of generating a viable financial return to banks/investors but there seems to be a slew of useless shizzle that would otherwise be laughed off the face of the earth if floated anywhere else.
    BMP 👿 (Boils my pee)

brakes
    Free Member

pedaling in a circle is not necessarily the most effective use of the muscles

but having a crank that is just bent, like those above, will only ever produce a circular pedaling motion.

bencooper
    Free Member

Exactly, that’s why he’s an idiot – he’s just made an extra-flexy crank 🙂

ampthill

I’m sure thats a wind up. The wink at the end, the male and female bike…

mikey50
    Free Member

Quite a few theories, opinions & few desperate depreciating remarks but who has tried them out?

bencooper
    Free Member

Quite a few theories, opinions & few desperate depreciating remarks but who has tried them out?

I’ve not tried a bicycle with square wheels, and I don’t need to to know that it’s rubbish.

wwaswas

mikey50 – only ever posted on threads about these cranks.

Do you have an interest to declare?

Rorschach
    Free Member

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve not tried a bicycle with square wheels, and I don’t need to to know that it’s rubbish

No it’s not, it’s just roads which are rubbish. Sort the roads out and the wheels are fine.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgbWu8zJubo[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Using the Concepts of Leverage and Inertia….’ is closed to new replies.