Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • using telly & soundbar/base PLUS bluetooth headphones ?
  • scaredypants

Anybody happen to know ?

My dad is pretty deaf and for him to hear the telly, even with his hearing aids in, it’s at deafening levels for a normal ear (i.e. my mum’s)

We’d like to get them a new telly and I think best option would be for him to use headphones (wireless, and phones with a volume control) while she listens to the TV output either from the telly itself or a soundbase/bar

Is that a goer ?

Oh, and there can’t be any more remote controls involved – even I’ll be long dead before they learn how to use another device

😐

scaredypants

Addit – thinking about it, to keep my mum’s volume lower, maybe NOT a soundbar but just the normal telly speakers might be a better bet ?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I think my Samsung TV lets you play through the TV speakers and the Bluetooth headphones at same time. Headphone volume is definitely controlled on the headphone and not the TV, so would think it’s possible to have two separate volumes

scaredypants

Ashy – thanks. How does your telly do bluetooth, inbuilt or do you attach a dongle somehow ?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have a Samsung TV, it’s got built in bluetooth but you choose this instead of the internal speakers, so when headphones are paired there’s no audio over the TV speakers. However, the Digital Out (and i’d assume HDMI audio) is still active, so Soundbar would be the way forward. Volume is independent for bluetooth as it’s on the headphones.

Poopscoop

Unless it’s all inbuilt I would just is the inbuilt speakers for your mum, then headphones (Bluetooth or otherwise) via one of the various audio outputs.

Sounds like your not looking for superb sound quality so a cheapish pair of way to use headphones would be best. Less controls the better.

cornholio98
    Free Member

If you can work it wired headphones are much better. This is what we used for my grandparents.

Think about batteries/charging/pairing how much tech support do you want to put in?. I have enough issues with this and I know (roughly) what I am doing.

Poopscoop

cornholio98 – Member
    If you can work it wired headphones are much better. This is what we used for my grandparents.

Absolutely agree there mate.

Thought op might not have mentioned them due to a tripping hazard or such. If that isn’t relevant corno is spot on.

spooky_b329

I found that the normal TV turned up loud is quite irritating and in your face, however loud with a soundbar is much more tolerable.

However, how is your dad with headphones? If he is like me he will have had enough after 40 minutes or so, due to a combination of comfort not being able to talk to anyone else in the room.

Can you not get hearing aid compatible things for tellys?

scaredypants

Thought op might not have mentioned them due to a tripping hazard or such. If that isn’t relevant corno is spot on.

sadly this is correct 🙁

Can you not get hearing aid compatible things for tellys?

that’s an excellent question – like that closed loop stuff they have in some theatres?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@ Scaredypants & Richpenny. On my Samsung TV you can enable.multi audio output in the settings. it’s under “General” Settings, then “Accessibility”) called “Multi-Audio Output”. Only enableable when there’s. Device connected via Bluetooth though

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@ Scaredypants & Richpenny. On my Samsung TV you can enable.multi audio output in the settings. it’s under “General” Settings, then “Accessibility”) called “Multi-Audio Output”. Only enableable when there’s. Device connected via Bluetooth though

stumpy01

Can you fit one of those hearing aid induction loops that feeds directly into your Dad’s hearing aids?
    That’s what my in-laws have put into their house for my father-in-law.
    Don’t ask me exactly how it works, but we’ve been round there before when there is no sound coming from the TV but he can hear it fine through his hearing aids. The TV volume can be adjusted as you wish, i think without affecting what is supplied to the hearing aids via the induction loop.
    There’s a thin wire that now goes around the room at ceiling level, but it’s pretty discrete.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘using telly & soundbar/base PLUS bluetooth headphones ?’ is closed to new replies.