Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Using Strava to find new trails?
  • franksinatra

I’ve been using Strava for a while but only to track my own rides. When I was out yesterday I noticed a trail popping out of the trees that I have noticed before. How do I use Strava to help me find / explore new trails (assuming someone has uploaded these?)

I use a Garmin Edge 200 on the bike but also have Strava app on my android phone. I can also use an OS map if necessary! On Strava basic, not premium.

I’m not really thinking about planning routes before, more like riding into an area then using Strava to find what is nearby.

Ta

dknwhy

Google Strava heat map

whitestone
    Free Member

Either via the Explore tab on the main Strava page and just panning and zooming until you find the segment if it’s been logged or using the heat map feature on the labs.strava.com site

Not sure if these are available or usable on the phone version

bikebouy
    Free Member

Google Strava heat map

[quote]

Very much this..

milky1980
    Free Member

You can use the explore function on the latest update to the app if you’ve got a data signal. Lost my GPS a few weeks ago and gone back to the app temporarily so playing with the features and it’s got a lot more functionality than it originally had!

nedrapier

If you’ve got the enthusiasm, the patience and the software (all free downloadable) you can stitch together screen grabs of the heatmap round the area you want to explore and convert to a custom map on your garmin.

There’s some other stuff in here that might be useful too:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/local-trail-exploration-strava-heatmap

franksinatra

If you’ve got the enthusiasm, the patience and the software (all free downloadable) you can stitch together screen grabs of the heatmap round the area you want to explore and convert to a custom map on your garmin.

My garmin doesn’t have mapping.

Heatmap seems to be very much PC based, but the explore function on the app seems to be the way to go. Data is pretty ropey round here for me but will see how I get on. Thanks

nedrapier

just edited mine, there’s some stuff at the bottom about importing the heatmap data into route planning software. Might be handy?

chiefgrooveguru

I take screenshots off the segment explorer with it on satellite view and combine that with Google maps on satellite once I’m trying to find the trails. It’s usually easiest to find new trails at their end rather than their start.

br
    Free Member

You need to us a PC to Explore the best.

Was it Double Decker which continues on from the the bottom of the Quarry you saw or Ginger Mullet where it drops out onto the old Merida singletrack descent at the fireroad start?

philwarren11
    Free Member

The explore map on the app needs satellite view badly.

franksinatra

Was it Double Decker which continues on from the the bottom of the Quarry you saw or Ginger Mullet where it drops out onto the old Merida singletrack descent at the fireroad start?

Neither. I noticed it coming out of the trees at the tops of Stoney Knowe Clearfell Descent. Looked at it on Explore and it is called The New Mullet (you are ninth on KOM)

The explore map on the app needs satellite view badly.

It does have it. I would love OS though

br
    Free Member

Looked at it on Explore and it is called The New Mullet (you are ninth on KOM)

🙂

We diverted it about a year ago as the old exit of Ginger Mullet was water-logged plus loads of fallen trees.

It actually starts on the SUW (marked with a log on the old clear-fell), runs through B&B and then onto the ‘Mullets’

franksinatra

Well if you built it I would expect you to be quicker than 9th place

philwarren11
    Free Member

No satellite view on IOS.

br
    Free Member

Well if you built it I would expect you to be quicker than 9th place

🙂

franksinatra

No satellite view on IOS.

my phon eis Android and it does have satellite, hopefully IOS will catch up soon enough

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Using Strava to find new trails?’ is closed to new replies.