Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Using Strava on an uplift day
  • flyingmonkeycorps

We’re having an uplift day at BPW in a couple of weeks (yay! Can’t wait!). I’m currently trying to track all the miles I ride using Strava since I started commuting to work every day, and I’m curious as to how folk go about recording an uplift ride. Is it just a case of pausing at the bottom / restarting at the top or is there some way to set some kind of exclusion zone for the uplift?

Ta!

I’d rather not use it at all than keep pausing/starting it – very much doubt you can exclude anything

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stop and start as pause just lands you at the tip of the hill and buggers it all up

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah that was kind of my thinking too. But I guess there’s a fair bit of sitting around to start / stop it. Hm.

*edit* yeah good point. So it’d have to be separate rides. Bugger that for a lark!

zilog6128

I just set it going & leave it. Tried the pausing thing before & often forget to set it going again.

stu170
    Free Member

I paused it when I used it, if you’re tracking mileage that’s no issue, but if you’re tracking elevation this method buggers it up. As you get massive gains in the uplift van

chiefgrooveguru

Just leave it on, everyone else does!

flyingmonkeycorps

I reckon I’ll either a) not bother or b) leave it on and mebbe try and crop it afterwards. It’s only ‘cos I’m interested in how many miles I’m covering really.

mcnultycop

Just leave it on.

Leave it on and check your stats at the end of the day, then delete the lot – it’s not like the BPW downhill miles are hard earned, so even if you could chop out the uplift, you are still cheating 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re interested in counting miles, go somewhere else to ride! If it’s smiles you’re after though…..

🙂

colournoise

I always start a new tracking for each run. Bit of a faff but does keep everything in order.

tonto
    Free Member

Turn it of for the afternoon

nuke

There’s a segment strangely enough called ‘Uplift’…
    https://www.strava.com/segments/10529186?filter=overall

Says it 2.6mi…times that by the number of times you take the uplift and you’ll know how many miles you didn’t do. HTH 😀

nickc

I just leave it on.

it’s not like the BPW downhill miles are hard earned, so even if you could chop out the uplift, you are still cheating

why does enjoyment on a bike have to “hard earned” and; “cheating?” WTF? who exactly? I mean most folk use Strava just for recording their miles don’t they? over a year the teeny bit that you did in an uplift van is exactly that…teeny.

there are some right fun sponges on this forum 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH your only “riding” is to roll down hill with gravity so you might as well do the full cheat and include the drive up in the vehicle 😉

jonk

Create a new ride for each run down then merge them together with fitfiletools which is a nifty website.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I leave mine on then upload as private

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Using Strava on an uplift day’ is closed to new replies.