Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Using Strava fly-by to identify and call out dangerous cycling?
  • 13thfloormonk

In two minds, watched another cyclist casually blow through a set of red lights on the commute home, in front of a bunch of waiting cars.

For some reason it pissed me off enough that I checked my Strava fly-by and right enough, there he is.

Typed up a polite enough message just asking that next time he considers riding through a red, he consider the rest of us who attempt to stick to the highway code…

Bit stalkery? Bit self righteous?

Of course this is nothing to do with the fact that I’d slowly been reeling him in over the last two km and then he dropped me by jumping the lights… 8)

jam-bo

Yes and yes.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Do it…. You dont know him and he doesn’t know you.

Expect some abuse back but just block him.

What a turnip.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilburt
    Free Member

I would tell you to do one.

imnotverygood

Must admit I was tempted to do this today. For those who know Edinburgh: Some bloke on a road bike doing 20-25mph and pushing hard passing opposite direction in the narrow bit of the Barnton golf course path. Completely unnecessary.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… sort of 2 votes no, 1.5 votes yes, will probably leave it.

Will just stalk him some more and call him out in person next time I see him at those lights 😉

I’mnotverygood, I think there’s a reason that segment is hidden on Strava, it’s flagged as hazardous isn’t it? Unless it was me in which case he knew exactly what he was doing and it was totally safe (I usually take that bit pretty slow though…).

darrenspink
    Free Member

See it every day in the city. I’d be a busy man if I got as irritated as you. My advice is to just forget about it and keep showing a good example yourself.

BenjiM

Done it before and I’d do it again. Some folk don’t realise what they’re doing is giving other cyclists a bad reputation or realise what they just did was a stupid move and could have ended up a lot worse for themselves or someone else. It’s a bit stalkery, sure, but maybe it’ll make them think.

One rider I know called out some local pillock who was drafting and then over taking competitors during a road race (Clayton Velo Spring Classic), thought he was the dogs danglies, as he was able to keep up on a lap, and slowing down in front of them. Utter prick.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

13thfloormonk

See it every day in the city. I’d be a busy man if I got as irritated as you.

Probably because I don’t actually see it very often, I’m blessed with cycle path almost door-to-door.

In truth it didn’t *actually* irritate me that much, I’m sad enough that I often watch my fly-bys anyway and I just noticed he was on it.

oldnpastit

Cyclist jumping a red light?

If you could do it as well for all the car drivers who jump lights, park on double-yellows, park on cycle lanes, park on the pavement, overtake like idiots, drive on the wrong side of the road while using their phone, and generally act like twunts, then hassling cyclists as well might be an idea.

jekkyl

You stop at red lights?! Quick check over the shoulder to make sure there’s no cops in the queue and push on through if you deem it to be safe.

ribena
    Free Member

Maybe you could digital EPO his KOMS away under a “red light jumper” username or something?

Or maybe create a Strava login as Police Officer #1241 – “Excuse me sir we’ve had complaints that a cyclist was jumping red lights and the time and location of your logged Strava ride matches the cctv we’ve obtained.”.

crazy-legs

Some folk don’t realise what they’re doing is giving other cyclists a bad reputation…

Oh FFS, please stop with that utter bullshit phrase!
    The actions of one driver do not give other drivers a bad reputation. The actions of one black/gay/Muslim person do not give other black/gay/Muslim people a bad reputation.
    Please stop with the collective responsibility crap.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The actions of one driver do not give other drivers a bad reputation. The actions of one black/gay/Muslim person do not give other black/gay/Muslim people a bad reputation.

Not to you, because you are not thick. There is compelling evidence, however, that the minds of thick people do work like that. 🙁

antigee

There is compelling evidence, however, that the minds of thick people do work like that.

and those minds are going to change because of some odd belief that if all cyclists followed all road rules then those drivers that are either self centred or thick and self centred will suddenly start being considerate to others?..think will be waiting a while on that one

I don’t condone red light runners but I do condemn the argument if cyclists were saints the roads would magically be safe

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Incorrect. The above example is how many stereotypes are created.

submarined
    Free Member

No.
    Very both.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Sometimes going through a red light, getting out of motorists way is the safest option.

I do it.

kerley
    Free Member

Your time would be better spent trying to call out dangerous drivers. I can pass you a list of number plates each time I go for a ride if you like.

wilburt
    Free Member

Occasionally do it, probably more in the car.

13thfloormonk

Ah well, to finish the thought and back up what a few are saying above, passed through the same lights this morning, but this time it was a taxi driver jumping the red light!

Seems there has been some sort of unwritten agreement that these particular lights ‘don’t count’ or something.

Very both.

😀

very stalkerish? I kind of thought stalking should take a bit more effort than just watching a 60 second fly-by video.

very self-righteous? Point taken, I’m usually more the live-and-let-live type…

crazy-legs

Incorrect. The above example is how many stereotypes are created.

And that’s why it needs calling out every time it gets repeated.

wwaswas

Mostly this.

Did you get the Taxi drivers number and report them? They’re the one causing a danger to other road users.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What is the OP actually seeking to achieve?

13thfloormonk

What is the OP actually seeking to achieve?

Not much, just wanted to vent at the guy for what I saw as slightly dickish behaviour.

Thankfully my first instinct that this would be excessively self righteous has more or less been confirmed, and it would have been more likely to just spark a torrent of abuse rather than change the guy’s behaviour.

ampthill

Crazy-legs

You might not like the fact that cyclists are grouped together by car drivers. But that doesn’t mean that it is not true.

D0NK

he consider the rest of us who attempt to stick to the highway code

he has nothing to do with you, nor you him, the “we don’t do ourselves any favours” argument is bollocks and should be consigned to the bin. By all means message him and tell him he’s a dick for RLJing but don’t use other cyclists as a reason – and don’t expect and apology either 🙂

D0NK

You might not like the fact that cyclists are grouped together by idiots. But that doesn’t mean that it is not true.

FTFY.

Hmmm, pretty sure there’s another name for someone who treats a whole group of people based on the actions of a few….can’t remember what it was…

bigyinn
    Free Member

more likely to just spark a torrent of abuse rather than change the guy’s behaviour.

This is exactly what will happen. Even tried discussing bad driving with a motorist thats cut you up?
    NOBODY APOLOGISES EVER.

ampthill

But cyclists are a legally defined group. It seems inevitable that the whole group will be penalised by legislation for the actions of a few and now I’m not even allowed to moan about it

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Contact them… this could be the romance thread we’ve all been waiting for .

nedrapier

But cyclists are a legally defined group

Eh? How? What have I got to do with you? Are we both jointly and severally liable, along with all other cyclists, for the actions of 13thfloormonk’s RLJing man-crush?

bigjim

I thoroughly approve.

My current pate hate is cyclists on the canal towpath or other shared use paths who adopt the cycle full speed at pedestrians whilst furiously ringing their bell until they jump out the way approach. Does my nut in.

D0NK

It seems inevitable that the whole group will be penalised by legislation for the actions of a few and now I’m not even allowed to moan about it

What possible future punitive legislation are you worried about? Genuine Q. AFAIK you can already be fined for RLJing on a bike, that already covers it doesn’t it, don’t RLJ and you won’t be penalised.
    It’s some drivers treating cyclists like second class road users “coz they all jump red lights” that I (and presumably others) are complaining about not the legislators.

Its all part of the outgroup thing and needs to be called out, we don’t all RLJ, we do pay appropriate VED, we aren’t freeloaders, a lot of us do have insurance, we are legitimate road users.

ampthill

DONK I agree with so much of that

It is wrong to for motorists to treat cyclists as if we are all red light jumpers

But that doesn’t mean its wrong for cyclists to resent red light jumpers

Cyclists are a legal group. We don’t have to wear helmets we do have to have lights at night. If the motoring majority get the hump then we could get

1. Must wear a helmet
    2. Must wear hi vis
    3. Must have a registration number
    4. Must pass a test
    5. Must have insurance
    6. Must use a cycle path where available

philjunior
    Free Member

Would you do the same to a jogger on Strava that ran through a red man?

Would you take the reg. no of a car that ran a red light? Far more do this dangerously (i.e. at full speed, often in excess of the limit) than cyclists and far more people are killed by them.

If not, get over yourself.

cookeaa

I think you have to look at your own motives OP.
    Your objection isn’t really based on concern for the ‘offenders’ well being or safety it’s that very British notion of “Fair play” and general following of the rules (regardless)…

It’s a cultural thing, drummed into us from a young age; if a British person see someone not in full compliance with the relevant rules, we’re programmed to get indignant, cause an unnecessary fuss and complaining about the false impression such actions might create in the minds of the great unwashed of whatever arbitrary social group you designate the rule breaker as belonging to…

The thing is, it’s all bolleux really, you just want to see other people get caught and punished to reinforce your notion that keeping to the rules is always “best”…

You saw someone break a rule, one intended to protect them from injury/death, and there was no immediate consequences or punishment for the transgressor…
    There might not be next time, or the next 100 times he RLJs or indeed ever…

your piss is apparently boiled by such things but you should really ask yourself why, and if it actually matters…

Ultimately life is too short, the sun is shining (here at least), and you’ll ruin your life if you worry about other people adhering to the rules if your not careful…

chrissyharding
    Free Member

let’s all grass on everyone.
    Do the spying arseholes job for them.

funkmasterp

I’ve just reported your post to get the ball rolling. Now you do me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Using Strava fly-by to identify and call out dangerous cycling?’ is closed to new replies.