Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Using Strava app abroad without racking up a big phone bill
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

I want to use Strava on my holiday. I use the iPhone app but I fear using this will leave me with a big phone bill for data usage.

Can anyone suggest a way of using Strava abroad that won’t empty my bank account?

Northwind

Should just be a case of setting your phone to not connect surely? Strava doesn’t need a connection.

boxelder

What he said – recording is free, just don’t upload.

AlasdairMc

Just turn off data roaming within Settings. Turn off 3G while you’re at it to save battery.

With Vodafone for £3 a day you can use your UK package in Europe

smatkins1
    Free Member

this is good news! I thought I had to have a 3G connection for Strava to work. Has anyone done this then, trouble free?

Simon

I can’t imagine uploading Strava results uses much data anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@smatkins – it works fine. The GPS chip doesn’t need Internet connectivity. You can then upload once you have wifi. You wont get maps whilst riding FYI..

franko777

Same as what everyone else has said. I live in Spain, but with a UK phone contract. I just have data roaming turned off, set it to record through GPS and then it just uploads once I’m back with wifi. Sometimes fails the first couple of times it tries to upload, although I’m not sure where this is just because the connection here is shit.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve done it. Turn off data, then use wifi in the evening to upload.

andypaul99
    Free Member

works fine, just turn off data roaming. Strava only needs internet when uploading the ride, which i always do when i get home on wi-fi or go past the town that has FREE wi-fi for everyone… (take note Mr Cameron)!!!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Does it not need a data connection to sign in before it can be used?

martinhutch

Nope, just launched it in Flight Mode.

Drac

Strava would be a waste of time for MTB if it needed a data signal.

kuman
    Free Member

All you need to record your ride is gps signal. I have used it abroad no probs, just wait till you have wifi to upload your ride.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Doesn’t flight mode turn off all wireless functionality including GPS?

antares
    Free Member

Yes. It doesn’t work in flight mode.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m in Turkey at the moment and using Strava, I have cellular data (iphone) switched off and it still records my route

I upload the route when connected to the local Bars wifi

geoffj

Three’s £5 a day europe package

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Turn your data off, gps and wifi on. Only upload when you can get onto a free, safe wifi site, like in the bar postride.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Using Strava app abroad without racking up a big phone bill’ is closed to new replies.