Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using stans tubless kit – about to fit, few questions!
  • cardiff
    Free Member

Evening, so I have my new stans crest’s, I have my tubeless conversion kits and I’ve watched some videos on line and am a littel worried about co*king it up!

Would I be right in thinking that first off I need to remove the rim tape that came with the hoops?

Cheers!

stanley

Yep,
    Remove, degrease, remove any burrs (I use wire wool), degrease, apply yellow tape (bloody tightly).

At this point either fit a tyre and tube and leave inflated over night (helps seal the tape into place).

Or if you want it done faster, pierce the tape, fit valve, fit tyre, inflate, deflate, put fluid in, re-inflate. Will need re-inflating several times!

MrGreedy

If you currently have the fabric tape like this then yes, remove and replace with Stan’s yellow tape (I had to ask the same question a few weeks ago).

Edit: stanley beat me to it. Agree about inflating with a tube before trying to mount tyres tubeless.

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers I do indeed have that tape so will remove! Can I use washing up liquid to degrease? Don’t have any actual degreaser!

stanley

No- I wouldn’t.
    Any IPA, brake cleaner?

You want the rim really nice and clean so that the tape sticks good n proper.

cardiff
    Free Member

Hmm, might have to go grab some quick before halfords shuts!

nuke

might have to go grab some quick before halfords shuts!

Halfords Citrus Degreaser aerosol spray is excellent stuff…evaporates away nicely. Only thing I regularly buy from Halfords: I normally stockup when its on 3 for 2.

marvincooper

I used muc-offf chain cleaner on mine to degrease, had no problem sticking tape afterwards. Good luck! Definately try a tube in the tyre first to get the tyre to mount on the rim – was the only way I could get the tyre to seat anyway.

cardiff
    Free Member

Excellent, halfords de-greaser – check! Plan is to get the tape on tonight then put tubes in and leave them in till tomorrow to bed the tape properly. Thats the plan anyhow!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using stans tubless kit – about to fit, few questions!’ is closed to new replies.