• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Using SQ taper cranks with niner bio centric 30
  • aP
    Free Member

Is this likely to be a problem? Herself is very interested in buying a niner RLT9 but she uses short cranks and niner don’t recommend using non external bearing chainsets with the bio centric. Any suggestions?

nedrapier

How short? Is 165mm too big?

aP
    Free Member

She’s got existing 155s from her Madone which got t-boned last Thursday, seems a shame not to use them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My guess is that tightening the NDS cup will be trying to pull the sides of the bb apart and might distort it?

brant
    Free Member

I can imagine that running old-style cup-and-cone bearings might be an issue.

But… oh…ah… but if you think about how a, say, UN51 BB fits in a frame, it’s actually by PUSHING the two sides apart. That’s no issue in a conventional BB, but when the BB is two seperate halves – that have to be clamped together to clamp in the frame – yeah – I can see that would be a problem.

A square taper BB that has a LOCKRING on the outside, rather than a cup that presses onto the bearing unit should be OK – as that’s “pulling”…

aP
    Free Member

Thanks brant – something like the spangly TA axis do you reckon?

brant
    Free Member

I think so… but I’d check with Niner.

aP
    Free Member

Update – just had a response to my email, from niner’s Director of Fun, that the TA AXIX will work with the Bio-Centric 30 BB.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Using SQ taper cranks with niner bio centric 30’ is closed to new replies.