Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Using silicone spray as a dry lube?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

On a chain that is, will it work?

Bought some silicone spray the other day to fettle my forks, just put a new chain on and realised i don’t have any dry lube for this lovely weather. Silicone spray is a lube right, will it last on a chain?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Water will work if you have nothing else – it just won’t last very long. But… it’s a new chain? Which make? Do you always lube new chains?

Oggles
    Free Member

I used TF2 stuff last summer, works fine. In fact I intend to pick some more up now the weather is good!

scaredypants

wot 3fish said – leave the packing gunk on the chain (wet a rag with degreaser & wipe off the outside excess if you want)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I never leave the packing grease on a new chain as i find it invariably attracts all the junk flying around and then sticks like glue.

Always degrease the chain before fitting it so needs lubing. Only had some Pedro’s wet weather lube to hand so i’ll try the silicone stuff tomorrow, i’ll pack the wet lube just in case though!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

(almost) Like scaredypants said, the factory stuff is fine if you just run the chain through a cloth dampened with white spirits (not degreaser!!). The new stuff that Shimano use is very good and usually fine for a couple of rides, so I presume that you have a SRAM or KMC chain. Wipe the excess lube, even just using silicone instead of white spirits, and ride it. It’s not going to collect any more crap than if you use a wet lube on it!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yup, SRAM PC951 9-speed chain. Already cleaned off now so a bit academic, i’ll try the silicone stuff and see. 8)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know how it holds up. It might be too light and just end up being expelled under the force of cranking, so my guess is that you’ll only get a few miles before it starts making noises – depending of course on how much of the factory stuff you’ve got out, what you used to get it out, and how dry the chain was when you applied the silicone. I’d get it on quick smart and give it as long as possible to dry before riding.

7hz
    Free Member

Silicone is not for metal to metal contact – it does not lubricate properly and will cause galling AFAIAA.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s why i’m taking the wet lube as well, the chain will have overnight to dry, just done it now. Could be an interesting experiment in this dry, dusty weather at the moment – will report back.

Normally i use Pedro’s Ice Wax as a dry lube, seems to last all day without squeaks but i ran out and didn’t buy anymore.

Hmm, wonder if it will work…..

fourbanger
    Free Member

You’ve paid money for a new chain. You have actual chain lube, for chains and you want to use something that isn’t chain lube, on your chain.
    That to me sounds as daft as using hairspray to put grips on, toothpaste for polish and all the other substances that aren’t intended to do specific jobs on all the things mountainbikers try and put them on.
    I think you’ll be cringing at the sound of metal on metal after 5 miles.

lipseal
    Free Member

I use it sometimes on the chain, mechs and other stuff just to drive some of the water away after cleaning.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Using silicone spray as a dry lube?’ is closed to new replies.