Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Using road shoes with mtb pedals
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

having got fed up of flipping over road pedals i was looking at a set of speed plays. Then I came across these

adapter

which looks like I can fir a mtb cleat on the bottom of my fancy italian road shoes.

will this work?

ta

scotroutes

As long as you don’t want to actually walk anywhere.

tpbiker
    Free Member

yeah…thats a bit of a concern! Any worse than road cleats though? The only time I walk anywhere in those is when I need to get off for a piss

bluebird
    Free Member

Yes. Crank brothers do them too so you can use egg beaters on a road bike. They have a bit of ‘sole’ too so walking isn’t such a nightmare.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/crankbrothers-quattro-3-hole-cleats.html

scotroutes

MTB cleats are obviously a bit smaller than the likes of an SPD-SL. If the only time you have to stop is at an occasional traffic light then just learn to re-engage quicker. My Ultegras are balanced so that they end up in a position for me to “toe-in” pretty quickly. Could be that the bearings on whatever you’re riding are a bit rough, in which case they’re not freely rotating to the correct position?

brooess
    Free Member

If you’re flipping your pedals over regularly then maybe best off buying MTB shoes…
    On a typical road ride you barely stop and therefore this shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re using the road bike for commuting then MTB shoes and pedals are your best option – not least so you can walk from bike to desk without falling over as well as wrecking your shoes and cleats

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use a pair of road shoes with Wellgo adaptors as spinning shoes in case my MTB shoes are wet/dirty.

They work really well, although walking is a bit of an isssue.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Seconded……

If you’re flipping your pedals over regularly then maybe best off buying MTB shoes…
    On a typical road ride you barely stop and therefore this shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re using the road bike for commuting then MTB shoes and pedals are your best option – not least so you can walk from bike to desk without falling over as well as wrecking your shoes and cleats

tpbiker
    Free Member

Currently using Brand new look keos so bearings fine. I’m fine with them out of town, but in town they are a nightmare, and I have to go through numerous lights before I get out for a clear run in the countryside

Swedish Chef..how clunky are the wellgo adapters? is the stack height weigh worse than a normal cleat?

I could of course just use my mtb shoes…but then I wouldn’t get to use my bling carbon soled silver disco slippers…

nemesis
    Free Member

Are you new to road pedals? Just asking because even in town I don’t find any issue with road pedals.

brooess
    Free Member

I have to go through numerous lights before I get out for a clear run in the countryside

Why is that a problem? Cyclists never stop at lights, remember…

More seriously, coasting up gently and learning to track stand can be a winner during the urban parts of a road ride

TiRed

As above. I ride fixed with Look KEOs. I get one chance to clip in (none of that coasting nonsense). I probably fail to clip in 5% of the time. It’s really not a problem. More practice required.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can fit ‘pontoons’ to the SH-71 cleats, so you don’t destroy your floor. Wellgo make some too which are cheaper.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SH71s come with pontoons I think.

ransos
    Free Member

yeah…thats a bit of a concern! Any worse than road cleats though?

Much worse (and I have tried it!). Road cleats have rubber inserts which give a little grip, whereas your mtb cleats will cause you to skate across any mildly slippy surface.

fasthaggis

SH71s come with pontoons I think.

Al is correct,I use SH71s

shortcut

The Rules – won’t someone please think of the rules!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[pirate voice on]

I’m thinking the rules are more like guidelines.

[pirate voice off]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Using road shoes with mtb pedals’ is closed to new replies.