Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Using Percil to wash Goretex:(
  • yoshimi

Has anyone done this? Will grangers fix it or is it boll0xed?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

usually ok if it’s not got conditioner/fabric softener in it

druidh
    Free Member

It’s bolloxed.

Do a hot wash with nothing in the machine. This will get rid of any detergent traces.

Wash in Nikwax Techwash or the equivalent Grangers cleaner – this is to remove any detergent on the garment

Now wash again in Nikwax or Grangers re-proofer.

Tumble dry or iron to activate the finish.

Next time, use soap flakes.

yoshimi

Didn’t use conditioner, did it ages ago and it’s not been right since- think I’ll try grangers first and see how it goes

yoshimi

Cheers Druid, I’ll try that- don’t really want to fork out for a new jacket but I’m getting sick of it leaking through all the time 🙁

aP
    Free Member

Do people really have tumble dryers at home? 😯

I guess that helps to explain some people’s enormous electricity bills.

druidh
    Free Member

aP – Member

Do people really have tumble dryers at home?
    I guess that helps to explain some people’s enormous electricity bills.

:mogn:

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You don’t need a hot wash. 2 cold water rinse cycles is adequate.

You’re trying to remove detergent residue from the machine. Volume of water does this and relative concentration of the solution – not temperature.

Probably best to rinse the machine and jacket together since both are conaminated. Since theres a greater detergent load in the jacket, Its rinse twice, then run a normal wash cycle with n detergent or soap of any description, hen re-proof using any mehod of your choice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do people really have tumble dryers at home?

I have a tumble drier. My leccy bill for the winter quarter was £70 for a 3 bed house 🙂 I bought the drier for reproofing jackets, and probably used it about once to dry cycling kit in a hurry.

The above btw is good advice but also take the detergent drawer out (most machines can do this unbeknownst to their owners) and clean the gunk off that too.

lowey

You’ll be fine Danny.

Do a machine cycle with nothing in it to remove the detergent, The put the coat in with some grangers pure soap.

When its done, then do the same again with grangers re-proofer. Then tumble dry.

Jobs a good un.

yoshimi

Trip to merlin at lunchtime tomorrow then for the grangers-looking out the window think I’ll need it this weekend lowey

roughneck
    Free Member

whats the 2 in 1 from grangers like

zaskar
    Free Member

I go gentle with soap suds and 30C if you can’t find the proper cleaning materials.

Also you can buy those sprays to water proof jackets.

Don’t use bleach or biological cleaners.

Thing is ask anyone at Tesco and they won’t know. I ended up ringing Endura to make sure I didn’t knacker their top end stuff.

Makes you think twice when buying gear!

sv

I found separate wash with soap flakes or a non-bio then reproof with the spray on-tumble dry method worked best for me.

jonathan
    Free Member

Obviously I usually wash Goretex (and similar) kit with soap flakes, rinse thoroughly, and reproof carefully… but I have also stuck a lot of water proofs straight through normal washes, with bio powders and not bothered reproof them for years. IME* it won’t do them any long term damage – just rinse thoroughly (can’t see any point in washing again with soap flakes) and reproof (I usually use a wash-in type and tumble dry).

* caveat on abuse of fabrics mostly limited to older generations of Goretex, but have also abused (usually accidently) an array of the latest hi-tech wonder fabrics 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Using Percil to wash Goretex:(’ is closed to new replies.