Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Using my new aeropress coffee maker :-)
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I got my long awaited aeropress for xmas and have been trying various combinations of technique etc, and cant seem to get it quite right.

I used a mid grind bag of starbucks xmas blend that someone gave me, and I found that the water went through too fast leading to a weak cup. So I bought a bag of lavazza 100% arabica espresso grind and it seems to make stuff that is sour to the taste. In reading up, it seems that too hot water causes the sourness?
    Ive also read about inverting the aeropress to allow the coffee to brew in the chamber before presing down, but Im not sure about this as then it not espresso is it?

Anyone else using one of these and what do you find works?

TooTall
    Free Member

Put the paper filter in the bottom! A scoop of ground coffee in there. Put the Aeropress on the cup and pour in the hot water – I tend to put about 2/3 full. Use the spatula to stir well – you want the grounds wet. I tend to let a little of the coffee filter through, top up the water and put the plunger in and seat it about 1/4 of the way down. No water will go anywhere until you press.

scaredypants

I just shove some coffee in, water a bit off boiling, put in the plunger, gently shake for a bit, then squirt

I’m not a coffee posho though 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drain

We had a team day out with a coffee importing / roasting / blending outfit just before Crimbo. They’re all baristas and total coffee geeks – I thought we were all technophiles on STW but these guys made us look normal 😉

Anyway, as well as showing us the ropes on the high end machines they also took us through the Aeropress as being their favourite gadget for when they’re in a hurry / away from home. The method they preferred was the inverted one. There are several clips of the method on YouTube.

I got one while I was there, and it’s getting a lot of use 😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

you are using crap coffee.
    use good coffee ground correctly, if you don’t have a grinder then any good coffee merchant will grind it for aeropress.

grahamb
    Free Member

Use some decent coffee.

Hasbean have a video & pdf on how to use the Aeropress.

While you’re at Hasbean, order some coffee. The Machacamarca is stunning.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Cheers guys, have tried the inverted method today and it is goood coffee although I think Ive overdone it as I now seem to be vibrating 🙂

Thanks for the advice and links, hope you all have a great new year 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

How fine a grind are people tending to go for with their aeropresses?

grahamb
    Free Member

I’m using an old Dualit grinder for my Aeropress & i’ve got it on about halfway setting. Similar to what i’d use for a filter, finer than for a stovetop. I tried using an espresso grind & couldn’t push the water through.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Once you have stirred it , just pop the plunger in the top a little bit. The coffee will then sit there until you press it. I live my aeropress, quick to make proper coffee on the way out in the morning and great for camping too

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Using my new aeropress coffee maker :-)’ is closed to new replies.