Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Using Moto V2s with a 183mm rotor
  • FieldMarshall

When I bought my Moto V2s 5 years ago, they were only available in 203mm front and rear.

Whilst this has been great on Alps trip, it’s overkill for the UK.

So I was wondering if I could swap the rear for a 183mm by using a different adaptor?

snaps
    Free Member

Yes works fine with a Hope ‘B’ adapter (my frame can’t take a 203mm V2 rotor)

ianpinder
    Free Member

yes, you can, however, you will have to run the standered v2 rotor (i.e. not the saw one, or the vented ones)

FieldMarshall

Great.

Thanks.

snaps
    Free Member

Do Hope make a sawtooth or vented V2 rotor?

FieldMarshall

Why cant I use the vented one on the rear? (Not that I am intending too)

snaps
    Free Member

I pretty sure you can only get 203mm vented & have you felt how heavy they are!

FieldMarshall

Yes. I have two of them! Hence why I want to switch to 183mm un-vented.

Just before I press go on the Order button, can I check that I can use a Tech V2 rotor with a Moto V2 caliper?

snaps
    Free Member

I think the Tech & Moto rotors are identical

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do Hope make a sawtooth or vented V2 rotor?

Sawtooth is for M4/X2. The V2 has a wider braking track so gets its own rotor, which comes in 203mm vented, 203mm standard (single-ply, if you like), or 183mm standard. The vented rotor can’t be used with other Hope brakes because it’s too thick for the aperture in the caliper.

I think the Tech & Moto rotors are identical

Correct.

FieldMarshall

Cheers. yes would appear that vented is available in 203mm only,

ianpinder
    Free Member

sorry, should of made it clear above, like it has been said above, the saw rotors are too thin, and have a narrower braking surface for the v2 calliper, and the vented rotors don’t come in 183mm size. in england, standard rotors are fine for uk riding. if your changing the back, might as well change the front too.

FieldMarshall

No worries. Thanks for your help.

I’m going to swap the 203mm “single ply” from the back to the front and have just bought a 183mm for the back.

Probably still overbraked for most of the riding I do, but better than 203mm all round and cheaper than buying a new set of brakes.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

sorry, should of made it clear above, like it has been said above, the saw rotors are too thin, and have a narrower braking surface for the v2 calliper

The non-vented V2 rotor is the same thickness as other Hope rotors (apart from the lightweight 1.6mm race rotors) at around 1.85mm. It’s only the brake track (depth of pad) that makes the sawtooth rotors incompatible with the V2 caliper/pads – The braking track is 20mm on the V2 and 13mm on the sawtooth.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I thought that the calipers were specific to the vented discs. I thought that you couldn’t use normal rotors with calipers that were ment for vented discs.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The V2 caliper – Tech or Moto – will work with standard and vented rotors.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Using Moto V2s with a 183mm rotor’ is closed to new replies.