Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Using K859i phone as USB modem for Mac internet connection?
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m using my MacBook Pro on the move more and more these days and find it increasingly inconvenient to find Hot Spots or free WiFi – the UK’s free BT OpenZones aren’t too common in Glasgow, and more and more coffee shops are charging or restricting WiFi usage. I want to use my 3G Sony Ericsson K850i phone as the USB modem to get online and check emails and do some light surfing.

Vodafone offers differing mobile web packages, but the problem I’m finding is how do I set up the System Prefs/Network to connect through USB? I’ve looked on the web but can’t find good info. I’m not wanting to use Bluetooth due to speed and power consumption.

Any help is much appreciated, including other ways to connect – but not wanting to spend on extra gadgets (like a 3G dongle) as I think I have all the kit I need to get online on the move.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i used to use my old N95 tethered to my mackbook.
    wasn’t that difficult to set up.
    there is a site that has all the modem scripts and carrier settings listed.
    a bit of googling should get you sorted.

IIRC when using snow leopard i didn’t even have to enter the script.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hmm I was wondering what method of connection I should be using: In System Prefs/Network I have Airport, BT DUN, Ethernet, FireWire & BT PAN… but no USB.

When I connect the phone I have four options (phone mode, print, media transfer, and mass storage)

MrSmith
    Free Member

i think it’s the dun you need.
    modem scripts from here (if you need them)
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

google should tell you how to set it up.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Great, thanks!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Got it sorted – Phone in ‘phone mode’, detected in Network prefs, enter u/n & p/w, jobsagoodun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Using K859i phone as USB modem for Mac internet connection?’ is closed to new replies.