Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Using guns in 'martial arts'
  • lyons
    Free Member

what is the point? i just went to a class i used to go to a few years back, and we spent half the lesson training on how to disarm someone with a gun. Thing is they used to do this quite often. I honestly cant see the point, the likelehood of ever having a chance to use it is so slim. Then the other techniques they taught were just too fancy.

I guess i was spoilt having tuition with me a friend, and the tutor for a while… Maybe also cause i was just a bit stressed and just wanted to go and hit things as hard as i could.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I bet I could drop you before you got within 30 yards.

lyons
    Free Member

huh? in what way?

radoggair
    Free Member

gun, knife, baton, its a weapon there getting you to disarm ( unless its a matrix move where you dodge the bullets first then rip it out of there hand!)

Its also good for flexibility and fitness

DT78
    Free Member

Tbh I've taught self defence for a long time, never done anything on guns

Have taught versus knife attack, and how to use your belt/keys in self defense though. Guns aren;t realistic unless your in the forces/police or maybe in an inner city gang?!

lyons
    Free Member

yeah, dt78's point is what i think. Maybe occasionally, but there's better things for reflexes etc. Defense against knives is good, but its hard as well. Batons etc are worth learning as well i think, just not guns.

I'll have to try to find a thai kickboxing class again or something, most seem to just be rubbish though 🙁

DT78
    Free Member

It would seem (from my experience) a lot of clubs these days are run as businesses and for profit rather than teaching the 'art'

Find an instructor and a club ethos that you enjoy, even if the instructor isn't the best you'll stick at it longer and learn more.

I remember going to the states in 2000 and first hearing about 'training' contracts – where people basically paid x amount of $ and were guaranteed a black belt by day y. Seriously what is the point other than profit?!

Anyway I'm wandering off topic 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

hah, yeah i have come across them. at one i went to look at the instructor kept on critiscising my kicks, as i refused to do it her way, it was utter rubbish. I cant explain why, but the 'black belts' kicks were like getting tickled. Nothing like a proper muay thai kick…

Curly68
    Free Member

I teach also but prefer to show defense from knife/baton attacks etc. The guys I train like to play with replica guns for a bit of fun. Nothing wrong with that, I say. I like to have fun whilst learning and hopefully something will stay with them that could save them one day?

geetee1972
    Free Member

What about defence against a man armed with a banana?

lyons
    Free Member

if he has a banana, just do [anything[/b] he says…

Maybe i'm being a bit arsey here, but they do it so frequently, and take it so seriously…

CountZero

geetee1972 – Member

Just doesn't apeel.

…what's that? Oh, my coat, ok, thank you, I'll be going, then. 8)

TooTall
    Free Member

hah, yeah i have come across them. at one i went to look at the instructor kept on critiscising my kicks, as i refused to do it her way, it was utter rubbish. I cant explain why, but the 'black belts' kicks were like getting tickled. Nothing like a proper muay thai kick…

maaaaaaan – u sounnd like a right ninja – I dunno why you bother with lessons now

🙄

elaineanne
    Free Member

my hubby teaches martial Art and has done for qbout 20 years…he has never taught 'How to disarm someone with a gun' !
    yep there are lots of fancy moves but his lessons are based on 'blocking techniques'close contact techniques and self defence…. its very close to Bruce Lee kind of fighting. he has trained with a few well know 'masters' up and down the country…
    (lyons) what part of the country are you in….

lyons
    Free Member

not a ninja :(, but this class was one where they said it will be x ammount to get this belt, x ammount for this, and it includes the uniform. The techniques were just not very good. Sorry, i was just in a bad mood earlier, and im sure lots of people enjoy that class.

lyons
    Free Member

Im in hertfordshire at the moment

elaineanne
    Free Member

whats the guy called that you trained with ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought the standard procedure in a situation where you are attacked by someone armed with fresh fruit, was to shoot them with a gun ?

Kuco

I've done the disarming bit but to be fair the bloke showing it was an Israeli special forces guy who also showed some sentry take downs which were fun.

petrieboy

what if somebody comes at you with a pointed stick?

julianwilson
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

What would you do if someone attacked you with a dildo?

Or 2 dildos?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what if somebody comes at you with a pointed stick?

Ooh, ooh, ooh; want to learn how to defend yourself against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you, eh? Well let me tell you something lad! When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after YOU with a bunch of loganberries, don't come cryin' to me!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have you seen the film "Equilibrium"?

samuri
    Free Member

If someone is attacking you with two dildos, what happens to you if you lose?

To be frank, I'd be a lot more scared if someone attacked me with two dildos than if they attacked me with one gun.

LsD
    Free Member

Only defence against a banana is a pointed stick……….

Nico
    Free Member

Defence.

sc-xc

laine anne – Member

… its very close to Bruce Lee kind of fighting

Wing Chun?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – Member

Have you seen the film "Equilibrium"?

I wondered if someone would mention that. Cool film..

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

lyons – Member

if he has a banana, just do [anything[/b] he says…

Maybe i'm being a bit arsey here, but they do it so frequently, and take it so seriously…

I used to do a certain Kaze training years ago and one of the blokes used to reaalllllly get into the weapons training 30mins after the first hour. He was a copper too, and although i'm not sure he enjoyed it per-se, it still worried me a bit!

zaskar
    Free Member

lyons Vs 5thElefant

5thElefant – Member
    I bet I could drop you before you got within 30 yards.

lyons – Member
    huh? in what way?

This way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qXlFNYoyQg&feature=related

Coyote
    Free Member

We once did defence against a knife with the assailant using a real knife. Although it was very controlled, the thought that the knife was real rather than a plastic training aide didn't half focus the mind. Probably resulted in the "assailant" being dealt with a little more robustly too.

DT78
    Free Member

Geez real knife!

In gradings we (used to) often replace the plastic knife with a permanent marker pen…. sounds sad but it's quite obvious it the 'knife' holder got you as you'll have black marker all over you and have to buy another suit 🙂

Oh yea, and different styles teach techniques in different ways for different reasons no one way is 'right' for all situations. I've done tkd, thai boxing, judo and wing chung all to varying levels. If you just stick to one style of kicking for instance you will limit yourself. The instructor would have had a reason for teaching you in that way – you should have asked why.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I do kendo, and I've never been attacked by anybody with a sword in real life, and I've just realized what a 'kin waste of money and ten years that's been.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Using guns in 'martial arts'’ is closed to new replies.