• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by tlr.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Using Garmin Edge 800 in Canada – experience?
  • Atomizer

Off to Canada for a holiday shortly – anyone any experience of setting up a Garmin Edge 800 for use there?
    Was going to buy and install a BirdsEye raster map but wanted to check how easy it is to use outsde of the UK.

Would just be used to ensure I don’t get lost rather than route mapping.

cp

Set up will involve turning the unit on as normal, you’ll just need to wait a few mins on first start up there for it to figure you’re half way round the world and aren’t looking at the same sats anymore.

Will openstreetmap mapping be sufficient for your needs? It’s free…

m1kea
    Free Member

I have a 705 and downloaded the free USGS topo maps for New England for when we go skiing.

Put these on another card and they work fine. Dunno about the 800 but you might need to manually change the time zone?

Really must try openstreetmaps for the UK instead of the old topo data my Garmin has.

Atomizer

Sounds good! – will try the free stuff first
    Cheers

cp

GPS’s know where you are to within a few metres. They know what time zone you’re in.

m1kea
    Free Member

cp

GPS’s know where you are to within a few metres. They know what time zone you’re in.

Indeed but I still have to change the timezone on my 705 whenever it goes abroad.

cp

really? Even my old etrex would sort itself out. Assumed the 800 would too. Will have a look this evening.

tlr

800 will sort itself the time out from the satelites – I’ve used mine in Oz a few times on my road bike with open source mapping no bother.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Using Garmin Edge 800 in Canada – experience?’ is closed to new replies.