Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • using front mech as chain guide.. advice please
  • ted1983
    Free Member

As stated, i am wanting to try single front ring so before buying all the bits i am going to try it for a while.

just wanted a bit of advice on where to set the mech, height, side clearance????

Thanks

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My advice would be, don’t. You’re not using a ramped middle ring as well are you? If so, I predict much pain is about to enter your life.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Works fine on the commuter (1×12-24); I’ve set the front mech as low as possible without the chain touching when on lowest cassette gear, and centred (the chain doesn’t actually touch when tested statically; it may when pedalling). This is with a ramped 9-speed middle ring, but onroad rather than off. YMMV, no liability accepted for unplanned deletion of front teeth on stem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As stated, i am wanting to try single front ring so before buying all the bits i am going to try it for a while.

You already have a single ring bike if you have the will power to leave it in middle and see how you go. When your happy that it’s for you then get a single ring and chain device.

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve been running a similar set up on my FS for the last 3 months or so and not had any problems, yeah, I might have dropped the chain a couple of times but thats about it. Ride it pretty much anywhere round The Peak, Macc Forest, Llandegla etc… So not just a softie commuter bike

What is this pain you speak of DBW?

Currently 1×9 with a Middleburn 34 slickshift on the front with the mech slammed as per the above and a 11-34 cassette. When its all buggered (chain, cassette, ring) I plan to get the full 1×10 set up and get a propper chain guide, mech, shifter, front ring etc..

fasthaggis

I use an old road front mech (mavic) it’s narrower ( and maybe because of that) ,it works really well.
    As above ,put it as low as you can .

ted1983
    Free Member

Will see how it goes for a cople of rides then. Cheers all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘using front mech as chain guide.. advice please’ is closed to new replies.