Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Using Epoxy adhesive to decorate copper…Advice
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have 'created' a copper tree water feature for the garden. I know, how middle class and boring but at least I got to play with a blow torch.

The branches look okay and the water flows out of the ends into little glass bowls and then tinkles into the pond below. It is even pressure balanced so the branches at different heights all flow at about the same rate.

The trouble is that the main 'trunk' is a boring looking length of 28mm copper pipe. I was thinking of covering it in a coloured gloopy coating of something. If you imagine a candle where the melted wax has spilled down the sides.

Any idea what type of epoxy stuff would stick to the copper pipe, survive being outside and covered in running water?

crikey
    Free Member

Wrap it in chicken wire and moss?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not a bad idea. It doesn't get too soaked because the water comes out of the branches.

Any way to get live moss or some other stuff that will grow in those conditions? I should imagine a lot of plants don't like trying to root into copper.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Did this start out as a copper fountain feature, or was it just a botched attempt at re-plumbing the house? 😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Well…it does turn on and off at the same time as our central heating which is a bit strange but that might just be the way i wired the pump…at least the pond is nice and warm now

crikey
    Free Member

Copper foil cut into leafy shapes then stuck or wired on….

Look up copper foil art on google.

midlifecrashes

Could you just use glue from a hot glue gun, that would be durable, or a mastic style waterproof gripfill, some of those are interesting colours.

molgrips
    Free Member

Copper foil cut into leafy shapes then stuck or wired on….

+1

jonb
    Free Member

No epoxy is good outside. It breaks down in UV light. Should stick to copper if you roughen the surface and it should be ok in water.

You migh be better off trying some sort of outdoor plumbing or window sealing product like a silicon adhesive. Cover it no more nails, that pretty much sticks anything to anything.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plenty of epoxies come with UV inhibitor, but you'll be wanting that from marine suppliers and its a bit more pricey.

ji
    Free Member

What about using candle wax?

crikey
    Free Member

or…. stick some lumps of whatever on the 'trunk' then wind it with copper wire for a more aesthetically pleasing look.

jesus, I'm turning into the bastard son of Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen and Alan Titchmarsh…

soma_rich
    Free Member

We need pics!

coffeeking
    Free Member

If it doesnt look this good I'm not impressed:

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I went with the mesh and moss idea.

I now have a pond with Cousin It sat in the middle

AndyPaice
    Free Member

as copper is IIRC a phytotoxic metal (toxic to a lot of plants) moss may not last long, although the mesh should hold it in place even when dead.

westkipper
    Free Member

One thing you could try is to sculpt knots and nobbly twig-type bits onto the surface with a clay/epoxy product called Milliput-available in model shops. Its waterproof and reasonably tough, provided you dont use too thin a layer.

I'd use the terracotta coloured version, then after its hardened, give it a dusting with a copper coloured spraypaint, then maybe a coat of polyurethane spray varnish.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh Jesus wept…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just thinking though…won't everything turn green?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Using Epoxy adhesive to decorate copper…Advice’ is closed to new replies.