Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Using bike for daily commute
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Hi
    Just outta interest who uses there mountain bike for a daily commute to work and back ?
    Im wanting to start biking to work say 3 days a week outta 6 its only like 8 mmiles but its all bloody hills….
    so come one i need some insperation

tom

fin25
    Free Member

Commuted on my 5″ fatbike the other day, 24 mile round trip, road, path and bridleways. Loved it, will do it again.
    I usually commute on a 29er inbred single speed with rigid forks and 2.4 slick tyres, also love that.
    Sometimes I commute on my rigid, single speed 29 plus mountain bike, which I also love.
    I own a road bike, never use it for commuting though, no fun…

EDIT:
    That sounded like Willy waving, sorry, just making the point that if you like riding your bike, ride it where you like.

nickwatson
    Free Member

I commute about 9 miles each way, on my Stanton Sherpa. I’ve tried various cyclocross bikes, and much prefer commuting on the MTB. It means I can take the fun way home more often than not, so varies my routes, and keeps commuting more interesting.

mtb1992
    Free Member

haha not its fine, i need to get fitter i think that doesnt help.
    yeah i love riding my bike like its fun just it bloody road all the way to work if i could find some offroad routes id be well happy.

takisawa2

I’ve an old Carerra Subway, adorned with full guards, rack & cheap panniers.
    it cost peanuts but just goes on & on.
    I’d love something like a Fargo but it would be overkill for my commute.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used mine on friday for my 25km commute

the time taken was exactly the same as if on my rove.

the main reason i dont do it every day on the mtb is cost.

above bike has XTR drive train and expensive tires.

My kona rove has claris drive train , steel rings and cheapo wtb nanos on + mudguards and a rack

mtb1992
    Free Member

im well jelous that looks a nice route to work.. i till recon a road bike would be better but never mind

digger95
    Free Member

I use a 29er Mtb with 32mm ish tyres. I had drops on it when I did a 30 mile commute but now I do 7 miles across urban area – much prefer riser bar for last second stop-go decisions crossing roads. Road bikes are for long rides with few interruptions IMO

Simon

I regularly commute on my C456 or sometimes my Pitch if its dry.
    Ride to work is roughly 12km with 350m of climbing, virtually all off road.
    I can do it in half the time on the road on my road bike but it’s far more fun by MTB. Only really use the road bike when the trails are really muddy.

schmiken

I commute on occasion on the MTB, takes twice as long as the road bike but it’s pretty fun!

Wouldn’t do it everyday though (15 miles each way).

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve used MTB’s in the past (my commute is over the Quantocks) but it’s too much like hard work, now I use the CX bike so I still have the option of offroad detours with much less of a penalty on road.

sirromj

Daily on 26″ 9 spd triple – XT front & rear mechs, cheap KMC chain, cheap road rear cassette, cheap deore m590 crankset. Hydro brakes from previous bike. tyres with whatever proprietary puncture prevention measures your favoured tyre brand offers – hard wearing & fast rolling = good for xc in summer & slim enough for full mudguards in winter. remove full mudguards in spring, refit late autumn/winter. full length outer gear cables.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you’ve got an off-road route it’s great. In a past job we used to MTB (tandem) commute about once every couple of weeks or so, perhaps less. A bit slow and hard work for every day (over an hour each way, with a fair bit of carrying as it was a footpath really). Road biking the rest of the time, under 40 mins door to door. The MTBing really turned the volume down at work though, and the night ride home in the dark was always a bit of a buzz.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I commute 12miles of flat canal and a bit of woodland on my charge single speed, running fast rolling 2.2 tyres.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Off road isn’t s viable option for me. Usual route is 14 km. mostly Tarmac cycle path, normal commuter is a fixed pompino on28c marathons.

The mtb is a drag when I ride it so I can ride after work.

MoreCashThanDash

I would commute on an MTB if they hadn’t put such narrow barriers on the towpath, so CX wins!

Ben_H

I’ve recently gone back to flat bars for wet weather commuting and general dad-bike duties. I’m literally just building up a Surly Ogre – essentially a rigid 29er with practical trimmings and slick 37c tyres.

I’ll be using this for my 15-mile round commute, which includes a range of hardpack surfaces from cobbles to smooth, lightly-trafficed sections. It’s hard to beat this sort of bike for my utilitarian riding.

However, on dry days I commute on a much lighter road bike – it’s just as comfortable and a lot quicker on the open sections.

philwarren11
    Free Member

My voodoo wanga with 140mm forks, ardents etc.. for my commute at the moment while i wait for my gravel bike to be delivered. 15 miles/300 to work, 15 miles 800 feet on the way home. Its manageable. I don’t mind it to be honest, beats driving at the moment. Ive put some city jets on it before and it helped a little but wasn’t the most comfortable. Takes me between 50 to 60 minutes to ride.

dufusdip
    Free Member

35 miles do still only do one way but cycle paths most of it and the fatty has priced to be just as adept as a Hardtail Wanga on slicks.
    But i tend to do it when it’s dry and an easterly wind!

So cheating basically…

mechanicaldope

Bird Zero for twice a week commute. Possibly slightly too much bike for the canal towpath journey but all I’ve got and it’s better than driving!

mtb1992
    Free Member

deffinatly, im gonna use mountain bike and save for a road bike. ive always wanted a road bike that i can do some serious miles on. im currently running some road tyres on my mtb it look silly but works just doesnt have the speed of a road bike.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I ride any bike as I’m only 5 mins from the clinic. Doubt it’s even 2km.

mtb1992
    Free Member

haha

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Using bike for daily commute’ is closed to new replies.