Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Using army surplus goretex trousers
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hiya,

After a pair of waterproof shorts, seen some army surplus goretex over trousers for £15 and thinking of cutting them down to 3/4 short size. Anyone else done this? Do they work ok as bike shorts?

doubledunter
    Free Member

I bought a pair couple of weeks ago, took a pair of scissors to them the other day to try them out on a ride up the local hills, saturated trails and they worked a treat, backside bone dry the whole ride 😀

phil40
    Free Member

Excellent, online ordering here I come 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailmoggy
    Free Member

Yes I’ve had mine for a few years and I just hose them down after every ride

I’d get the bib types as they do creep down

doubledunter
    Free Member

I did replace the draw string with something else but Im gonna sew a couple loops onto them for a belt off an old pair of endura shorts, think that mat make all the difference ..

Mikeypies
    Free Member

canyou share the link for them pls esp if they are the bib style ones

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine slipped a bit. I’ve added belt loops and a webbing belt and they are vastly improved. The waterproofing is excellent.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Braces.

grey

Look for the german army ones as they usually have braces.

MoreCashThanDash

Sizing is a bit hit and miss, they can slide down lycra shorts quite easily if too big.

Can be quite flappy round the shins, I ended up taking in the hem a bit to stop it catching on my bottle cage.

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

untelligible sizings on the ebay ones. Is there some special code for these?

PePPeR
    scotroutes

I (44/46) Klein Approx. Small, waist 36″, inside leg 25″ & outside leg 37″
    II (48/50) Mittel Approx. Medium, waist 40″, inside leg 27″ & outside leg 39″
    III 52/54 GROB Approx. Large, waist 44″, inside leg 29″ & outside leg 42″

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I found that wearing 3/4 shorts underneath then tucking the waterproof trousers under the cuffs produced absolutely amazing filthy weather apparel.
    Army Goretex seems to be in another league to the stuff on offer on the high st.

bratty

looks like the german army eats too many bratwursts if small is 36″ waist size!

(actually 36″ inch waist and 25″ inner leg? are they all shaped like tellytubbies?)

mattjg
    Free Member

They’re good, amazing for the money.

Don’t cut them down, wear them long or roll them up. If you cut them down you also have to start doing some shaping to stop water splashes coming up inside from you legs, not worth it IMO.

Buy 1 size up from your jeans size.

booktownman
    Free Member

On a skills day with Alex Rafferty of PRG he recommended doing this very thing.

brakes
    Free Member

they’re big because they’re overtrousers

dabble
    Free Member

Do you wear lycra and shorts with the over trousers over the shorts or just lycra and the over trousers? Do the over trousers have pockets?

mattjg
    Free Member

They have no pockets (or ventilation), they are over-trousers, with a draw string at the waist, elacticated at the ankles, and that’s all. That’s partly why they work well, they’re simple, effective and light.

I usually wear a pair of light running shorts underneath mine, or lycras but not 3 layers. They are light enough though that I would pack them for a big day in the hills in mixed weather.

Great for hiking too.

Mine came from “Guards Army Gear”.

I read the Army is switching to a new cammo pattern so all the DPM kit is being off loaded.

mattjg
    Free Member

& seriously, they’re < 20 quid and if you don’t like them for riding you’ll still use them for walking/gardening/DIY etc etc. It’s hardly a risky punt.

rOcKeTdOg

Got 2 pairs, one shorts & one 3/4, added Velcro ties to 3/4 to stop flappage but 100% waterproof if a bit loud

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need for belt loops, I wear a pair of shorts over the top, looks daft, but who gives. +1 for not cutting them down, keep em as troos, then the water doesn’t run off them and into yer shoes.

Cheezpleez

Um, those German ones seem to be £130!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

No need for belt loops, I wear a pair of shorts over the top, looks daft, but who gives. +1 for not cutting them down, keep em as troos, then the water doesn’t run off them and into yer shoes.

You are seriously wearing shorts on-top of trousers?

Google image search: “shorts over trousers” in an attempt to find an amusing image to accompany this I stumbled across this thread.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gore-tex-34-shorts

pirahna
    Free Member

I use them as summer waterproofs for the motorbike, the best bit of kit I’ve come across for this. I now feel a pair of cut downs heading my way.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Using army surplus goretex trousers’ is closed to new replies.