Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Using an image, without permission, but with reference
  • matt_outandabout

So if you have an image, that is not yours, you are passed it by a third party, are you allowed to use it (for company promotion and self promotion) if you simply add the flickr username to image?

meehaja
    Free Member

why not contact through flikr to be sure?

jmason
    Free Member

No, not at all. Unless its been licenced accordingly. As above contact said photographer before using

druidh
    Free Member

ur members share an incredible amount of amazing work on Flickr. If there is an image you’d like to use, look for the “Request to license” link near the license on the photo page. We’ve partnered with Getty Images who will review the image, determine if it’s a good fit for licensing through them, and work out all the details if so.

Not all members have this enabled. If you don’t see it you can also contact the member directly. As a member of Flickr, you can move your mouse over someone’s buddy icon and click the little arrow to open the “person menu.” Then select “Send FlickrMail” and compose your message. When you contact a photographer, it’s best to include as much info as possible about the photo, yourself, and how you want to use the photo

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What des the license say on the Flikr page? Link to picture?

user-removed
    Free Member

Definitely not cool. Really gets on my tits when people steal my images and then blame it on their web designer.

footflaps

Most people, on Flickr, license their work under a Creative Commons License, normally making it free for non-commercial use as long as the artist is recognised.

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

All my stuff is Attribution, Noncommercial.

EDIT: I also generally let people use it commercially for free if they ask nicely.

matt_outandabout
    matt_outandabout

Ahhh, reading up on Willie’s flickr settings.

white101

similar but slightly different situation.
    I was working at an event at the weekend and took lots of photos of my companies products in use at the event as well as photos of other things. My camera, not supplied by work, nobody asked me to take the pictures but the event was interesting and I usually take my camera most places.
    I sent a picture to a colleague who works in the marketing team and asked if he thought he could use it for some literature he was hoping to have printed. He said yes and I should send him other similar photos.
    I didnt get paid for the weekend work (take a day off in leiu, dream on!) never have been paid for weekends.
    Should I get some kind of payment for the photos or named in the credits or another day off in leiu?
    Not wanting to put a pro snapper out of work for the day, but some stuff turned out pretty good and figure it would be good to use it rather than go to the cost of mocking up the situation with actors and getting in a pro. Save the company a few quid and they might think better of you (I know, MUG) my company are not known for there benevolance.
    Anyway, cash, credit, holiday or lesson learned?

MrSmith
    Free Member

So if you have an image, that is not yours, you are passed it by a third party, are you allowed to use it (for company promotion and self promotion) if you simply add the flickr username to image?

Under the copyright designs and patents act its theft.

Cougar

The time to ask that is before you say ‘yes’ (-:

In your situation, I don’t think that requesting credit is unreasonable. Though I’d want paying if I was working in the first place, otherwise what’s the point?

miketually
    Free Member

The photo linked has a Creative Commons license, but it’s by attribution and non-commercial.

I doubt a commercial FB page classes an non-commercial.

Mike_D
    Free Member

OP: That image is licensed Attribution-Noncommercial:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

so, in a nutshell, no you can’t. Contact the photographer…

[Edit: The way you posed the question suggested that it was you wanting to use the picture, from the FB page I’m guessing that that’s not in fact the case 🙂 The photographer should very much get in touch with them…]

user-removed
    Free Member

Honestly, now I’ve calmed down a bit (this stuff really gets my goat), get in touch with the photographer and ask if you can use the photo. There’s a pretty good chance they’ll be delighted that somone appreciates their work and will be happy for you to use it with a credit.

Worst case, they’ll go on some piss-ant photography forum and some twit (just been warned about swearing on the forum), so some twit will point them at the Getty calculator for image usage and they’ll try to sting you for £400.

At which point you can point and laugh.

I’ve been on the other end of such requests and usually ask for somewhere around the £40-50 mark. They usually point and laugh.

rOcKeTdOg

CTC contacted me and offered me £72 to use one of my photos in their mag, i’d have been happy with a mention or a years sub to the CTC

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CTC contacted me and offered me £72 to use one of my photos in their mag, i’d have been happy with a mention or a years sub to the CTC

What I was going to suggest, would they be interested in what the ad is for (unless it’s a car or something 🙂 )

Joe

To be fair they’ve only shared the photo on their facebook page. I don’t think there a problem with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To be fair they’ve only shared the photo on their facebook page. I don’t think there a problem with it.

well thats OK then using a photo for commercial reasons on facebook isn’t commercial and not against the terms of use specified in the owners copyright.

For the sake of an e-mail to check and maybe a little freeby nicking it is better

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Matt Robinson Oi! That pic is taken from outside my house – by a friend! Do Edinburgh uni / Teva etc have permission to use this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/willowherb/3976693879/in/set-72157622383666499

and from the Facebook page

binners

If you’ve not got permission to use an image, you don’t use it. Its really is that simple! I’m absolutely with user-removed on this. Gets my bloody goat too, as I’ve been on the receiving end of people nicking my imagery a good few times!

Have you seen how much istock, getty etc charge to use their images? There’s a good reason for this. People are happy to pay to use good imagery. If you’re not, then go and take your own photo’s!!

footflaps

point them at the Getty calculator for image usage and they’ll try to sting you for £400.

and the rest, I looked up what Getty would have charged for a photo I gave away for a free T-shirt to be used in a US magazine and it was £750 for a one off use for that print run and market!

This Ad will appear in Mountain Bike Action in September 2012 by brf, on Flickr

Mike_D
    Free Member

Did they offer a t-shirt up front or did you have to haggle? 😉

footflaps

Actually they offered to pay and I asked for some branded stuff and a credit on the ad instead! Photography is just a hobby, I don’t do it for money.

binners

Perhaps you should? Its a cracking shot! 😀

Mike_D
    Free Member

Actually they offered to pay and I asked for some branded stuff and a credit on the ad instead!

You’re clearly insane 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actually they offered to pay and I asked for some branded stuff and a credit on the ad instead! Photography is just a hobby, I don’t do it for money.

at least they offered rather than just bunging it on their facebook page

footflaps

You’re clearly insane

That goes without saying….

toby1

That is a cracking shot Footflaps – very well timed and taken!

JoeG
    Free Member

Footflaps – Are you at least getting some copies of the magazine?

footflaps

Hopefully and if not I have a friend in the US who’ll post me one.

geoffj

Clever marketing – how many of Teva’s target market have now been directed to their facebook page?

MOAA has it been removed now?

snax

It’s a bit like this…. I mentioned to a friend of a friend the other day in the pub that I was looking for a new bike, but funds were limited… the next day he knocks on my door with a brand new Orange Five, my size and everything and says I can have it as he found it, and it didn’t seem to belong to anyone…

Reread your post, think about the fact that photography is the product of someone’s hard work, determination, expenses, blood, sweat, tears, late nights, long days, frustrations and total joy… Then look at my scenario and make up your own mind…

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

On a similar subject, the Great Swim had a photographer recording the day at Salford Quays for the Great Manchester Swim. He took a candid photo of me and I have noticed that they used it on their web site.

I liked the photo, and have copied it without realising there may be copyright issues. Do you think it is unreasonable not to ask permission in this instance (with the photo actually being of me)?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Reread your post, think about the fact that photography is the product of someone’s hard work, determination, expenses, blood, sweat, tears, late nights, long days, frustrations and total joy… Then look at my scenario and make up your own mind…

Before offering advice on rereading the post, maybe you should read the thread 😉
    BTW Here’s a picture of a baby robin I took yesterday – it’s free to everyone.
    No blood, sweat, tears (though a slight amount of bird poo) was lost in it’s creation.

binners

OrmanCheep – In that circumstance, I think If you got in touch with him he’d happily supply you the hi-res. If he’s using it, and therefore generating income from it himself. Seems fair

stever
    Free Member

I was in the barbers the other day and noticed I was on the front cover of the Ride the Roses leaflet, a local charity sportive next month. I’m going after those cancer caring, image robbing gets!

That was a joke.

phil.w
    Free Member

Are images on Facebook hotlinked from flicker? If so it’s not legally copyright infringement.

geoffj

Are images on Facebook hotlinked from flicker? If so it’s not legally copyright infringement.

Really? 😕

xiphon
    Free Member

When you hotlink from another website, you’re not hosting the image yourself. As such, the image may be considered public domain than anyone can view.

If they do not want it to be hotlinked, there are technical methods to prevent it.

Bit of a grey area?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Using an image, without permission, but with reference’ is closed to new replies.