Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using an Android phone to make NFC/Contactless payments?
  • spooky_b329

I’m sure my colleagues iPhone does this… But a few minutes Googling and searching the Play store have not revealed any obvious methods.

Anyone sussed it out? Been using contactless on the tube and buses in London and I’m going to lose my debit card at this rate as in carrying it loose in my pocket.

steveoath
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDM7VU8S3cM[/video]

Andy_K

Outside of apples ecosystem, it’s up to your bank to launch an app that will allow you to use your phones NFC capabilities.

Cougar

First things first, does your phone actually even have NFC capabilities? You need the hardware before worrying about apps, not all handsets have it.

kimbers

i think barclays have one on the way

my nexus has NFC, as it chirps when i put it next to my cards!

Google wallet is going to be pushed again next year in the UK this time, its been out in the US for a while, but not well supported

EE apparently have an app that lets you do it with android

allthegear
    Free Member

Just buy an iPhone? – you could pay for it with your phone. Oh – wait…

Rachel

spooky_b329

Not watched the video yet due to dodgy reception. I saw the EE and Barclaycard ones, surprised the PayPal app hasn’t got it. (I think it did for bit)
    Also read that Google Wallet is to be replaced by AndroidPay shortly…but that article was back in the summer.

(And yes, phone has the NFC logo on the back. The fact it’s a stupid logo that you have to Google to find out what it means is another matter)

mark90
    Free Member

EE apparently have an app that lets you do it with android

EE stopped new activations a couple of weeks ago. Just before I got an NFC capable phone 😐

Waiting for google wallet/android pay now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A. You need a phone with NFC chip in it (actually it’s in the battery! – watch out with cheap import batteries as you can lose the functionality with some replacements).

B. The phone must have the relevant bank affiliated operator firmware.

C. You need a contactless payment enabled SIM.

It’s all tied up with exclusive deals between banks and operators basically. I’ve had several phones from Orange/EE with NFC in but told firmly by them that they will not work. The EE payment app requires the relevant phone firmware and SIM. Ask EE and they’ll say you need to buy a new phone even if your current phone is technically capable.

Google Wallet etc may be different but depends if they work without a special SIM. That may mean the phone has to be powered on and working correctly to make payments, like iPhones. So battery dies when you get to the till or tube barrier and you’re stuffed. The proper system using the SIM will work purely off the chip/antenna in the battery combined with SIM, without the phone itself powered up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using an Android phone to make NFC/Contactless payments?’ is closed to new replies.