Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Using a star fangled nut with Hope headset – will I die?
  • dannybgoode

Hi all

So, the headset that came with my bike has died (not surprising really since a) it seems to be made out of some child’s toy grade aluminium and b) I put it back together wrong when fitting new forks) so have been out and bought a Hope headset as a replacement.

My question is, the Hope one has some funny insert that seems to be based on the old quill stem system whereas I already have a star fangled nut installed from my current setup.

Can I continue to use this or do I need to install the Hope insert as all this seems to be is for something for the bolt to screw in to?

Thanks all

Danny B

IHN

You’ll be fine

nuke

Just use the star fangled nut

Hope one has some funny insert that seems to be based on the old quill stem system

Its called a Hope Head Doctor…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=911
    I use them on all my forks unless they came with a star fangled nut fitted.

Hamfisted people break them and rant about it but I’ve had no issues with them and have used them for years

honourablegeorge

Use it ith the star nut – but use a normal bolt to tighten it up at first – the Hope is a rather fragile aluminium bolt.

dannybgoode

Is there an advantage to the Head Doctor? I don’t mind forcing the star nut down the steerer far enough so I can fit it (yes weight weenies, I know this will add a couple of g’s to the bikes weight!).

Cheers for your help

Danny B

ndthornton
    Free Member

Its easier to fit – thats the only advantage I can see. they are more expensive – more heavy – more money and more likely to go wrong. Solution to a none existant problem. I always flog them when I get a new headset.

gonzy
    Free Member

as above you will be fine…i have one of those hope hed doctors on my dh bike and had one on another bike. they should be easier to install than an SFN but you have to be very careful when installing them as i found out when i over tightened the bolt and snapped it…
    they weigh more than an SFN too….
    TBH its a case of hope trying to reinvent the wheel with this product and i fell for it twice

mattjg
    Free Member

No.

Hamfisted people break them

Couldn’t possibly comment.

JoB
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member
    Its easier to fit – thats the only advantage I can see. they are more expensive – more heavy – more money and more likely to go wrong. Solution to a none existant problem. I always flog them when I get a new headset.

they’re quite handy for carbon steerers though, where SFNs are a bit hazardous

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I always flog them when I get a new headset.

How much do they go for? must have half a dozen kicking about.

dannybgoode

How many headsets do you guys get through to have so many kicking around?!

Cheers

Danny B

ads678

I used a head doctor to fit a SFN on my last set of forks. I couldn’t get the headoctor to stay in place cos i’d lost the o rign, so I used it to push to a SFN into place, worked a treat.

I had no issues with the headoctor when i was using it though, or using a Hope headset with a SFN.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I got £7 posted on here. Helps to offset the cost of the headset. Think I let it go too cheap though – probably could have got a tenner. Damn what an opporunity missed!

dannybgoode

Gawd dang – better bang mine up on ebay…

Cheers

Danny B

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yes – get them sold,
    I only hope we haven’t put potential buyers off – they’re actually really usefull – honest!

scaredypants

over tightened the bolt and snapped it…

How compressed do you like your bearings ? I like to keep mine in the turnable range

they weigh more than an SFN too….

Easier to take out altogether if you care about that crap

Northwind

I got a few quid for mine. Some folks can’t fit SFNs but for everyone who has working fingers, SFNs are the best option. Simple, light, cheap, reliable.

Toasty

The weight difference is something really silly, I’m talking a gram or so, not even sure which is lighter. The quoted weight of 30 grams includes the top bolt, you can use any top bolt you like with them. The actual weight of the two tiny aluminium plates is next to nothing. You can use half a SFN if you’re really crying over 5 grams.

No issue here, quite like that I can chuck it in any set of forks. Quite the opposite I’ve got loads of SFNs kicking around as I don’t need to hammer anything into forks.

Don’t see many of these for Hed Doctors 😛

ndthornton
    Free Member

Who is cryng over 5 grams – im no weight weenie – I dont mind adding weight for extra functionality or to avoid increased cost. But when something adds zero functionality and is in fact more expensive…….. the words no and brainer spring to mind.

Toasty

Similar sort of thing to quick release, saves me 2 minutes, every 6 months, quite happy chucking an extra 50 grams at it?

ndthornton
    Free Member

by the way – if your using a hammer your doing it wrong. threaded rod, some washers and a nut is whats required.

Toasty

Used to use screwdriver and mallet tbh 😛 All went in fine, all my old forks still have them in.

richmtb

Correct sized socket and a big mallet for most “pressing” jobs

nedrapier

After having issues with not being able to bang in a SFN straight due to a wonky steerer tube cut, I bought a Hed Doctor.

When I bought the next set of forks, I realised that you can get a SFN-banging-in-straight tool for less than the price of a Hed Doctor.

I bought the tool.

And I’ve since found out that the Hed Dr. is corroded into the steel steerer…

graeme87
    Free Member

Defo stick with the star, the hope one is soo bad and breaks really easily.

ndthornton
    Free Member

hammering a spring – hmmm ok – make sure you have the rebound turned up though or you are likely to end up with hammer in the eye 🙂

ads678

hammering a spring – hmmm ok – make sure you have the rebound turned up though or you are likely to end up with hammer in the eye

No you stick the crown over the corner of the work bench so you’re not actually using the bouncy bit of the fork when hammering……..

The HD fits snuggly into the steerer tube so using that to push the SFN into place keeps it perfectly straight, or maybe i was just lucky!!

mattjg
    Free Member

I realised that you can get a SFN-banging-in-straight tool for less than the price of a Hed Doctor.

Yup I’ve got one of those. It may be a numpties-only tool, but my SFNs are straight!

nedrapier

Yup I’ve got one of those. It may be a numpties-only tool, but my SFNs are straight!

And it’s a risk and pain-free, massive piece of wee. Did another fork on Monday night, steerer and tool held in one hand, free, no support/bracing/ eyeing it up. No tapping, no straightening hits, no wondering if it’s in far enough. Three whacks with a hammer on the nobble and we’re done.

£8.99 well spent. £2.24 per installation and falling. Just after a bob-on square hacksaw cut, so not just for numpties.

mattjg
    Free Member

We’re on the same page Ned.

(& usually, the cost of the tool is less than the petrol of 2 trips to LBS).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m with you Ned – cheap tool that makes a job very quick and painless. Faffed with a few Head Doctors before I gave up.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Using a star fangled nut with Hope headset – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.