Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using a Solarstorm X2 head unit with a Mtbbatteries battery?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I know that someone is probably going to tear me to pieces for this – on a number of levels, but is the following going to work?

I’m thinking of pairing up a battery from a lumenator and using it to run a solarstorm x2 head unit.

Are they compatible? Will I die?

I know next to nothing about batteries and electronics, hence the question……………..

Please be gentle.

dannyh
    Free Member

Bump.

Anyone able to advise?

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Mtb v2 battery as a reserve on my road bike. It has been fine. As long as connectors are compatible it should be fine.solastorm head unit is very bright and I’ve had no issues at all. Bargain lighting if you ask me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends as the lumenators were built to run different voltages- unless mine was a one off.
    Mine is designed to tun on Lummi batteries so operates at 14 ish volts and centre positive

I am sure my Solar storm would fry if i tried this

IMHI measure the voltage from each battery and see if they are compatible

You can manually test but you may die in a fire or be able to unplug when you start to smell burning.

you could of course e-mail smudge @ mtb batteries [ who made Trout batteries iirc and he can probably answer for you.

pk13

Solar storm batteries ran at just under 9v when I tested new ones. But that’s a lottery figure due to the battery’s. I’ve got a smug replacement for my solar storm not sure on the voltage.

z1ppy

Have you got two lights already, if not I’d keep the luminator on the bar, and buy a SSX2 for the head and at worst get a replacement battery off ebay for £35

jonwe
    Free Member

Solarstorm X2 requires 7.4V (not sure if centre positive or negative but it does matter!). If the Lummi battery is 14V or centre-the-other-way-round either it will blow the X2 or it will trip protection in the battery or X2.

If you can test with a multimeter great, else just buy a pack from torchy the battery boy.

falkirk-mark

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-batteries/

Yes I bought 2 batteries and a charger off him last year and they work fine.

jonwe
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to say: the X2 compatible battery packs usually consist of 2 x 3.7V li-ion cells in series and usually 2 pairs in parallel. Hence nominally the packs are 7.4 V but when fully charged these get up to about 8.4V (depending on charger) and down to about 6V before they cutout. The x2 lights are designed to handle this voltage range hence people’s varying voltage statements.

Packs for other lights may be 3 or 4 cells in series so will have voltages around 11.1V or 14.8V.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using a Solarstorm X2 head unit with a Mtbbatteries battery?’ is closed to new replies.