Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Using a Sat Nav in France- am I missing something ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

????

Just seems to show a general area rather than specific address.

What am I missing ?

wwaswas

What am I missing ?

a bit more detail in your question?

DrJ

Dunno – which sat nav? Do you have the maps loaded? Not had any problem with Tom Tom, either as a dedicated unit or iPhone app.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ones with speed camera locations will get you in trouble

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Quite a lot of info imo. What make and model of gps are you using and what for I.e travelling about by car or biking off road. My guess is that the base mapping is the uk specific and reverts to sfa when off map. I blame brexit.

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine showed the house, the outbuidlings, even the swimming pool that only recently been built. Brilliant detail. Only issue was it wasn’t great at telling the difference between a minor rural road and someones driveway. Got us there, though.

cchris2lou

Post code in France Are for a whole town, so if searching by postcode you won’t get a specific adress.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Post code in France Are for a whole town, so if searching by postcode you won’t get a specific adress

This !

Was using google maps at this stage not tried sat nav which is a Garmin

DrJ

This !

Amazing – that’s like someone saying

“what’s that music that goes dum-de-dum-da-da-dee”

and someone correctly identifying Schubert’s violin concerto in E minor

CountZero

cchris2lou – Member
    Post code in France Are for a whole town, so if searching by postcode you won’t get a specific adress.

There are countries where people don’t have a postal address as such, just a PO Box, which makes things interesting when sending stuff by couriers who don’t do PO Box deliveries…
    Searching on satnav could be challenging as well!

antigee

most french business websites give their coordinates – if your satnav doesn’t support entering coordinates then you have a problem (of a minor sort)

cchris2lou

not often i get something right !

jambalaya
    Free Member

Waze app is excellent in France

@mike sat navs can show speed camera zonss (as per road signs) but not actual locations. This however was recently challenged in court. Phone sat nav apps are effectively impossible for police to check as only an idiot stopped by the police would show them the contents of their phone. If they want to look they can take me to court first

squirrelking
    Free Member

And this is why what3words was invented…

dogmatix

I used google navigation in france recently and it got me everywhere I needed to go. I was generally typing in street numbers and names and town. Could you not find that info first?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Using a Sat Nav in France- am I missing something ?’ is closed to new replies.