Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Using a gas stove inside a small van?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Thinking about the winter and the potential of being stuck in snow. I have a camping stove that i keep in the car for a brew sometimes when out and about. If i were to use it inside the car/van (berlingo) would i need a window open (only boiling a kettle so <5 minutes)?

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you dont like living.

Ive done it in the past sitting at the back doors with the back doors open and the front window to ensure a draft.

Doing it inside a closed vehicle with no ventalation = stupidity !

stuck in snow …. you live in england right ?

carbon337
    Free Member

Didnt some folk die from using a disposable bbq in a tent this summer. I’d open the window.

wwaswas

always have ventilation when using a burner.

and fit a CO alarm in there too, just in case.

Pieface

just have a couple of windows open to create a through-draft.

thomthumb
    Free Member

why not get out?

druidh
    Free Member

Wasn’t that because the coals were still burning and therefore using up all the oxygen in the tent?

With a window or door open it would be fine. However, boiling a kettle produces a lot of condensation. In an unlined van that’ll be dripping off the roof in no time.

When I was doing lots of winter hillwalking I always put a flask of coffee in the car before setting off.

RustyMac

I would suggest it would be a very sensible approach to crack a couple od widows to ensure the CO level in the van is not going to reach a dangerous level.

maccruiskeen

boiling a kettle produces a lot of condensation.

double the condensation (well probably not double but…) as the gas burner itself is creating water vapour too, so whatever you are heating the van will get damp

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thomthumb – “potential of being stuck in snow”

It will be **** cold and snowy!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

too cold to boil a kettle outside?

MTFU a bit and pack a coat/ hat/ gloves.

matt_outandabout

MTFU 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Whats the point in getting cold to then get warm after? might as well stay war and comfy!!

crikey
    Free Member

1. Watch the weather forecast.
    2. Take a thermos flask.
    3. Get a nice tartan rug.

I can’t honestly believe that this is a problem that anyone needs to worry about!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear God No.
    No
    no
    no
    No
    No. no. no . no . no. no..nononononoooooooo

We had a mate who slept in his Van overnight and because it was cold he lit a small gas burner (that he used to make tea outside of the Van) inside the Van.

He Died.

It’s common concern amongst anyone using Vans/Campers that you must get the RIGHT EQUIPMENT for use in small confined places & have adequate ventellation.

Wasn’t long back on here where a Lad down Bristol way (I think int he Welsh Hills) died whilst sleeping in a Van when he too used a small gas burner to keep him warm..

Please go seek advice from a Camping/Caravan shop.

HTH

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry

common sense prevails

I dont believe there to be a high risk of getting stuck in snow in england.

You might get stuck in a mild dusting of white frost…..

In winter i plan my route also . For example if i am going to go to aviemore and im traveling at night – i will not try to go over the lecht even if it is the shortest route…….

GrahamS

bikebouy +1 (and sorry about your mate)

There was a thread on here a while ago about a missing biker with people out looking for him – he turned out to be dead in his van in similar circumstances.

peterfile
    Free Member

1. Watch the weather forecast.
    2. Take a thermos flask.
    3. Get a nice tartan rug.

I can’t honestly believe that this is a problem that anyone needs to worry about!

Do you live in Surrey crikey? 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

graham , i believe that was an underlying heart condition – folks were just jumping to conclusions with co2 poisoning.

Stoner – that is SOOOOO cool (but not 140 quid cool)

druidh
    Free Member

A sleeping bag and a flask has served me well enough these past few years – including an enforced overnighter at Glenshee.

maccruiskeen

For example if i am going to go to aviemore and im traveling at night – i will not try to go over the lecht even if it is the shortest route…….

😳 😳 😳

I similarly would never allow me to take me over Glenshee to get to Alford in the middle of the night. Not me. Although its so luxurious to drive on a road carpeted with arctic hare fur. I got through mind but only becuase I had enough weight in the van for traction.

My only enforced overnight was on the A9 in a snow storm that had chased me home to Moray from London, it caught up with me at 1am and it was 7am before I got moving again. No kettle or sleeping bag required for comfort, just more than half a tank of fuel so you can run the engine every now and again.

footflaps

I’ve spend the night on the A9 in a sleeping bag in the car, when they shut the snow gates. Was pretty comfortable in a 4 season down bag.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Potentially dangerous so you need to be a bit careful. On the plus side, gas stoves are very controllable and reliable in the main, compared with meths and petrol alternatives.

Good ventilation is essential to avoid CO2 build up, the side effect of which is that you get drowsy and careless – at least have a window half-open and a door adjar. In particular, if you are lying down it’s a risk as CO2 tends to sink to the floor. CO is also a concern so make sure the flame is perfect blue as CO comes from incomplete combustion.

Handling gas should always be done very carefully as a small leak at the seal where the stove/lantern joins to the canister can result in a build-up and ignition and in a van you will be killed by the explosion.

And finally, it should be made very difficult to knock over because you will be surrounded by flammables and you will be lucky to escape if fire breaks out.

I’ve safely used gas stoves safely in tent porches, and gas lanterns inside larger tents for many years, but it’s something to be done with great care and attention.

psling
    Free Member

Good advice above about opening a window or door for ventilation but, remember (and this is to re-assure Trail Rat as much as anything) we are talking about stuck in snow in England so it is IMPERATIVE that you dig a ventilation channel through the snow from the open window/door. It is no good just opening a window or door when the vehicle is completely entombed in snow, you need to dig out to fresh air.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dont think you will die unless you are really stupid with it [ leave it on to heat the vehicle]but the condensation will be ridicolous if you boil anything

peterfile
    Free Member

we are talking about stuck in snow in England so it is IMPERATIVE that you dig a ventilation channel through the snow from the open window/door. It is no good just opening a window or door when the vehicle is completely entombed in snow, you need to dig out to fresh air.

😆

Worth taking an avalanche transceiver too.

gusamc
    Free Member

as other tips and make sure you are nearer the door than the burner (so you can get out pronto *without going through fire source – so make sure door opens) and for ffs DO NOT EVER change the cylinder in the car. (*mum was a nurse and yes both occurrences really have happened in tents)

if you only want a brew you can get a 12v leccy kettle (yes they are painfully slow but they do work and berlingo has a 12v socket and they are for sale on ebay)

tracknicko
    Free Member

be better to have a big stack of hand warmers in the boot than all this fannying around for a cuppa.

br
    Free Member

+1 12v electric kettle, and always ensure you’ve a full tank of fuel

maccruiskeen

be better to have a big stack of hand warmers in the boot than all this fannying around for a cuppa.

be better to have a 5ltr can of fuel in the boot and a warm car

Regarding the “open a window and you’ll be alright thing”…
    If CO is heavier than air, won’t it fill the vehicle up from the bottom, so if you’re lying or sitting below the level of the open window, you will still suffocate ?

maccruiskeen

Regarding the “open a window and you’ll be alright thing”…
    If CO is heavier than air, won’t it fill the vehicle up from the bottom, so if you’re lying or sitting below the level of the open window, you will still suffocate ?

does the same thing happen when you exhale? If I close my bedroom door tonight is it only safe to sleep on the top bunk?

druidh
    Free Member

Have you been eating beans?

psling
    Free Member

Just running that experiment for you now MTQG and it would appear that the answe

maccruiskeen

Have you been eating beans?

yes…….. oh no!

BadlyWiredDog

Worth taking an avalanche transceiver too.

Will that still work inside a car? I was thinking of getting one for mine as a stand-by, but it seemed pointless if the metal bodywork of the car meant it wouldn’t be detected by rescue dogs.

peterfile
    Free Member

Will that still work inside a car? I was thinking of getting one for mine as a stand-by, but it seemed pointless if the metal bodywork of the car meant it wouldn’t be detected by rescue dogs.

I’ve got a 27ft CB mast mounted to the roof of my car, I just hook the avalanche tranceiver up to that if i’m going to be anywhere in England in winter. It’s just not worth the risk IMO.

Also, there’s no point having all the kit and not knowing how to use it. Worth going on an avalanche safety awareness course.

I can’t believe people are so relaxed about stuff like this. Typical STW macho men.

maccruiskeen

don’t be daft, just keep a rescue dog in the car as well then it’ll have no trouble finding you

so in summary you just need a dog and 5 litres of petrol. (both go woof)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Using a gas stove inside a small van?’ is closed to new replies.