Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Using a different length rear shock – Will it kill me or my bike?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve got the opportunity of borrowing a coil shock to try out on my 5 Spot but it’s 200mm eye to eye with 57mm stroke as opposed to 190mm x 50mm standard

I’ve checked with a bit of square tubing with the right size holes with 200mm between centres and it will go in with the suspension slightly extended.

If I try this will it kill my frame or will I just need to run it with a bit more sag to take into account the extra length

Cheers for any assistance

Cheers

Ken

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shouldn’t cause any problems as it’s longer when bottomed out than the old one.

It will steepen the bike a bit but youwill get a feel for coil, and let’s be honest, if you go back to air, we’ll know something new about you 😛

scaredypants

fully compressed, it’ll be longer than your existing one which means your tyre won’t foul the frame

no idea what it’ll do to forces on the frame – doubt it’ll be that big a change (IR not engineer)

unless you do run more sag, the “resting” geometry would be affected a bit (tiny bit steeper at the front, tiny bit slacker seat tube ?)

(ed

tiny bit slacker seat tube

WTF – that’d be unlikely, hey – since they’re both welded together)

khani
    Free Member

Take the spring off and sit on the bike to see if the tyre fouls the seatube, static it’ll steepen the h/a, s/a and lift the bb a bit, sagged it may be ok, if your using the push rockers with an extra 7mm stroke the travel will go from 5.75inchs to roughly 6.7inchs (eg, leverage ratio is 3-1 then 3×2.25=6.75)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Using a different length rear shock – Will it kill me or my bike?’ is closed to new replies.