Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Using a cassette sprocket as a SS cog …..
  • letmetalktomark

…. will it all end up on fire with eyeballs popping everywhere?

Plan would be to use it in a horizontal dropout build – it that makes a difference 😕

Only reason I ask is that I would like to use a 13T or 12T which I haven't been able to find as dedicated SS cogs 😡

meehaja
    Free Member

should work, however, is it worth the hassle when adapter kits are quite cheap (having just recommended someone make theri own rather than buy one, i shall punch my self in the crotch!)

You will need spacers, I'm sure I read about someone using a piece of pipe for this, I suppose it would work in theory but i Prefer a tidy finish!

My only concerns with using a cassette ring would be strenght (as in how much does it gain from being attached to other rings)

ramping (without a mech for tension will the teeth be a bit shallow?)

best bet, try it, see if it works but be prepared to fit a shop bought one if, like me you have no mechanical skills!

finbar
    Free Member

I've got one on my commuter (17tooth out of a 9spd block), gets hammered up steep hills every day and it's fine. Only real issue is if you have an aluminium freehub body it'll probably chew it up.

clubber
    Free Member

I've seen it both work perfectly and utterly FAIL with resulting stem/nut interface…

Give it a go – what's the worst that can happen? 😉

wwaswas

have a look here;

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart5.htm

quite a few choices.

biggest advantage of a 'proper' cog is they have a wider base so tend to )a be more stable and b) don't dig into the freehub body.

letmetalktomark

Cheers folks.

Run SS on another bike using a superstar components kit – I only posted up as could do with a smaller than average cog.

Will check out CTBM now 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

run a bigger chainring – 12t on SS is asking for pain…

i ran a 22 out of a cassette at the puffer as it was all i had in my box of tricks ….

letmetalktomark

I'm limited as I have an UNO ring I would like to use.

Thinking fast(ish) road use and general playing about 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

sell uno and get a real chainset … unos are pish anyway – guaranteed to be out of stock come replacement time – took me donkeys to get a duo for my chainset – and then when it came to replacement they were out of stock with no indication of em coming in – direct phonecall to middleburn as worked in a shop at the time – CRC had none and extensive web searching prooved fruitlesss

good thing is middleburn hold their value well

bassspine
    Free Member

cassette sprocket plus cassette spacer rings works fine. Don't listen to the snobs – recycle those deceased cassettes. I used that system for a couple of years, now I have a surly cog but still use the cassette rings as spacers. They don't need to have much strength, just enough to locate the cog, if you're doing it up tight enough to mash them you're doing them up too tight.

Andy-R

Smallest is 14 tooth, but cheap as chips.

cookeaa

you can cannibasise a cassette for sprockets it's been done and won't kill you…

However if you're looking for a proper small SS sprocket for use with a 1/8" chain then I've use a 13t Odyssey…

Seem to have gone up a bit actually….

But there's always a 14T DXR for £3.99 (will work with a 9speed chain too)

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I've used an old casette cog for ages now. Took two cassettes apart – selected cog of choice – used spacers from two cassettes to fill in where redundant cogs would have been. looked a bit scruffy so used some black duct tape to cover -looks OK works fine cost nowt.

Dancake
    Free Member

Works ok on the "Excercise Bike"… almost get the magic ratio with 40something 11. Not much cop off road though 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I think it depends on the cassette type that you use. The teeth are shaped to actually force the chain to move up the cassette and the deraileur actually stops it moving when you don't want it to.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What? Can't find 12t?

I have one of these:

gusset 12t cog

Olly
    Free Member

i have peeled a cassette cog off a casette before (on a geared bike, but with silly hard gears cranking up a hill)

also, teeth are lower, so more prone to skipping

also teeth are alloy, so will wear pretty quick?

should work, but i would suggest a conversion kit myself.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Using a cassette sprocket as a SS cog …..’ is closed to new replies.