Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Using 650b Pikes on a 26" bike
  • stanmtb
    Free Member

I am about to purchase some pikes from CRC and I noticed that 26 and 650b are only £20 different. If I purchase some 650b pikes and put them on my 26 stumpjumper for a bit of future proofing in case I decide to upgrade frame/wheels, would I notice any significant difference? would I be screwing my frame in the process?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Not really, I’ve been doing just that on my spitfire for 12 months and it hasn’t killed me to death yet. They’re only 10mm different A-C. Do you have a 10mm spacer under your stem that you can move to the top?

stanmtb
    Free Member

Awesome, Yeah I have 20mm worth of spacers under the stem right now.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have done the same on my chameleon but with fox 34. I believe it work out 12.5mm higher than the 26″ version of the same forks. I run the forks at 130mm so they probably just feel the height of 140mm forks.

maxtorque

i’ve had 650b Pikes on my zesty for two years, no issues. With big tyres you really can’t spot any obvious size difference……..

stanmtb
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys, ill definitely be going for some 650b pikes then!

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would add to my comment above that I think I would struggle to run a mudhugger on 26″ forks with a magic Mary. It is tight in there with the 650b fork and touches slightly when landing drops much higher than about 8foot. I think it must be wheel deformation as the mud hugger is attached to the crown brace so the wheel isn’t getting any closer from the centre.
    So in this respect a 26″ wheel in a 650b fork is a winner.

nuke

Did it on my 26″ Trek Remedy…all good and great tyre clearance. I did change the air shaft to 150mm travel from 160mm though but probably would have been fine

stanmtb
    Free Member

Brilliant, now does anyone know if there is somewhere I can get them cheaper than CRC? I have just seen the 26 version on merlin for £525 which is tempting!

teethgrinder

Running 650b 150mm Pikes in my Spitfire as well, along with 650b dropouts. seems OK and will be after a 160mm airshaft soon

CheesybeanZ

Not pikes but MrsB has 650b on the front of her 456 and luvs it .

CheesybeanZ

Fekin Flickr ..

anotherstan
    Free Member

650b pikes on my 26+ surly instigator

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Check with bikebitz and the german ebay seller, I’ve used both and had good service no issues.

kayak23

650B Pikes on my 26″ Mega and 650B Revs on my 26″ Transition hardtail.
    Seems fine to me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Could you run a 650b wheel if you’re running 650b forks on a 26″ bike? So it would slacken off the head tube a degree or so? Give you a tiny bit more axle to axle? With a short stem/ wide bars probs be ok?

Just thinking about doing something like this on my Pipedream.

CheesybeanZ

456 with 130mm Manitous

antares
    Free Member

Brilliant, now does anyone know if there is somewhere I can get them cheaper than CRC? I have just seen the 26 version on merlin for £525 which

Join British Cycling for £20. That’ll get you a 10% off code for CRC to use each month

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Using 650b Pikes on a 26" bike’ is closed to new replies.