Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • uses for old innertubes
  • duncdan
    Free Member

Innertubes (yes some people still use them) are great even after you have put enough patches on them to make them a slick tyre.

Here are a few bike related uses i found

Weather guards for headset and bb
    Mud guard on fork
    Replacement rubber for bike light
    Spacer for handlebar mounts
    Chain stay protector
    Temporary fix for broken rebound damper

I recon we should get 101 uses betwee us?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hanging stuff in garage
    Cores removed to replace lost dowels in bed frame
    Ice Axes & Ice Screw cover
    Tie plants to canes in garden
    Patch leaky hose in van
    Retaining Straps on Bike rack (tie downs)
    Dropper Post Protection Strip

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Homemade fleshlight.

trout
    Free Member
    tthew

Tree/fence decoration when you can’t be bothered to take them home. 🙁

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

One has been blocking up a draft in my fireplace for nearly 10 years now. Big gap, about an inch wide. Inserted while flat, then a few breaths from the pump and its sealed the gaps just as well as any builder alternative.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sidewall repair patches for tubeless tyres.
    Crank arm protectors
    Downtube/BB protection

yunki
    Free Member

Most of my old tubes from the last 10 years or so are gainfully employed in the pursuit of driving Mrs yunki nuts..
    They are in the wardrobe, under the sink, hanging on coat hooks, draped over the bannister, under the stairs, in the boot of the car, behind the telly, on top of the bookcase, under the bed, behind the sofa, on top of the fridge, in the garden and hanging from the clothes airer..

She loves it

Beerbabe
    Free Member

Thanks for the comment Trout. Used inner tubes have an endless number of uses.
    Wallets, phone cases, frames packs – time to start dropping hints to Santa 😉
    http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_740271-Bicycle-Tube-Products.html

rossi46
    Free Member

I use mine to protect my frame when bolting on the kids trailer (bracket/frame interface) and also I have the old chainstay protector option.

Dogsby

I cut mine crossways and use them as elastic bands!

Dogsby

wiggles
    Free Member

Chainstay protector is a good one
    Have another used to tie the cupboard where my bikes live shut to keep the kids out

adjustablewench
    Free Member

For a minute there I thought yunki was talking about bondage . . .but now ive re-read it I’m still not sure. . .

oldnick

rureadyboots, can you start a thread “what innertube for fleshlight?” please

Kahurangi

Protection for the bike rack.
    Lashes/bungees for attaching bikes to bike rack kiwi style.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i patched a hole in next doors oil tank with one to prevent kerosene pissing down the hill, also fixed a burst water pipe with one (and cable ties)

beanieripper
    Free Member

From ray mears this one. They make excellent fire lighters for your stw log burner, a tiny bit burns for a good while…….

tmb467
    Free Member

I carefully cut out two squares, glued em together with double sided carpet tape and then cut out a nice circle big enough to go round under my crown race and wide enough to cover the lower headset cup

Hopefully keep the majority of muck and water out over the winter

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Cut the valves out and use them with a pump for removing the other piston in a brake caliper. or making one of those ghetto tubeless inflators.

What glue for sticking sheets of inner tube together? Will regular vulcanising solution work?

lerk
    Free Member

Cut out valve section, then wrap tightly around outdoor tap – tightarse pipe lagging!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bondage equipment in the dungeon ?

Gags, tying slaves up, blindfolds, whips, all with that lovely rubber smell.

It’s a suggestion, not a recommendation BTW….

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I used one as a lead for a dog I found… Dog happily returned to owner… Inner tube about three foot longer than by the time I got there…

meehaja
    Free Member

back in BMX days I used to cut valves off and add punctured tubed to inside of tyres, extra puncture protection!

456mocha
    Free Member

Inner tube jewelry FTW! 😀
    http://urbanlacejewelry.com/

andypandy85
    Free Member

They make a half decent temporary sling if you/a mate nadges an arm/collar bone etc. Also good for “towing” on a group if someone is really struggling and you need to get them home/to a coffee and cake shop pronto!

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ +1 sling…able to walk 3 miles using it with a broken collar bone once…absolute godsend as I was on my own.

tomaso
    Free Member

Mostly as tree ties – for which they are very good

Although I think if you had as many as Yunki they would make an excellent spring to power a giant trebuchet :mrgreen:

tmb467
    Free Member

Regarding the gluing of tubes together I suppose it depends on the application

I just used carpet tape as I’d only wanted the extra thickness. If you want air tightness then I’d reckon vulcanising solution would work

Scapegoat

I have one stretched over the moderator on my stalking rifle to stop it ringing when It brushes on foliage. I also use them as a grip surface for o ring mounted bike lights, rubber bands, tubeless patches, helmet mounts for torches, seatclamp mud seals, chain stay protector, cover for the head on my frame pump after seeing one that was so full of crap it no longer worked.

takisawa2

Always keep some in the toolbox. Had a leaking waste pipe under the sink. Cut a short length, slipped it on & leak gone. Lasted years.

Have some along the garage door to stop drafts.

Sit my roof bars on squares of it to stop them scratching the roof.

iolo
    Free Member

They can be made into a rubber fetishists kinky knickers/bras/whatevever turns you on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Tie your cables and hoses on with thin strips when youre out of zip ties

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Oh and i once used one as in inflatable fake penis

faustus

– Holding tractor 3-point linkage arms together, stopping clatter.
    – Toilet unblocking jet – cut in half, put down bog with gloved hand, blow hard. Avoid blowback.
    – Catapult.

rocketman
    Free Member

air intake anti-vibration device on mk4 Mondeos

Scapegoat

Exhaust raspberry device

Kahurangi

Trebuchet spring.

paul4stones

Washer for the outside tap.
    Helmet/bar mount for a torch
    Sheath. For a bow saw.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘uses for old innertubes’ is closed to new replies.