Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Uses for an old Android phone
  • mjb

Having a bit of a clear out and found my old HTC Legend and thought it might have some uses especially for the kids. Pretty sure and I can root it and put a more up to date version of Android on (I think I can get 4.1).

So far I’m thinking it can be the iplayer remote, replace using my phone as a microscope, camera (would like to try doing some timelapse stuff), geocaching. Any other suggestions? Wasn’t intending to put a SIM card in it.

Cougar

Bike computer / GPS?

I keep meaning to reappropriate my old phone as a route tracker / MP3 player when out running, rather than using my big daft modern one.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Wireless security camera? There’s apps in the Play store that let you view what the camera sees through a web browser.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

You could always put a Three 3.2.1 PAYG SIM in.

pcb
    Free Member

MP3 player?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As Cougar, clear it of guff and install backcountry navigator with Multimap OS Explorer 1:25k for £6.99 and use it as a GPS, one which you won’t care if it gets scratched, dropped, wet, lost etc.

dannybgoode

Dark phone. Pick up a free sim from somewhere, buy a credit voucher in cash and start dealing etc.

alanl
    Free Member

Perks up at the thought of cheap gps :

As Cougar, clear it of guff and install backcountry navigator with Multimap OS Explorer 1:25k for £6.99 and use it as a GPS

Have you actually done this?
    What is battery life like?
    How does it get its GPS signals – is it via the telephone signal, or does it have a GPS receiver built in?

spooky_b329

I’d probably root it to remove all the crap that vodafone et al bundled onto it, but not update to a later version of Android…it will probably slow the phone down as newer versions are designed for faster phones.

I had best results on my old HTC Desire installaling a stripped out bare bones version of Android, improved performance, battery life and reduced overheating (I was still using it as my main phone so same apps before and after)

nemesis
    Free Member

GPS is via gps chip though if it has a data connection it also used mast positions and wifi to get a faster, approximate fix.

Lots in using a mobile for gps here
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-made-gps-with-mapping-and-tracking/page/3

Two suggestions, first for the kid thing use the kid mode app which is free and means you can prevent kids doing things you don’t want them to

Second is to use it as a music player. I have an old one playing music off our main computer (install plex dlna) with a set of computer speakers plugged in our you could use some bluetooth ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Uses for an old Android phone’ is closed to new replies.