Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Useful Garmin IQ 'apps'
  • wildc4rd
    Free Member

Anyone ever used any of the Garmin IQ stuff on an Edge product? (820 in my case). I don’t use a power meter, most seem to be for the watches or relate to power meters.

zilog6128

not checked for a while, didn’t see anything that interested me last time I looked though.

Would be great if they could use the data connection on your phone, huge potential there but I don’t think that’s possible.

meeeee
    Free Member

I’ve just started using one called routeCourse, let’s you plan a route using your phone and can then send it straight to your garmin without having to use garmin connect, or plotting a route on the device. I’m just using the free version at present but will probably give them $10 for the premium one as it has a few useful extra features.

leffeboy

Nope. Ive played with a few but there isn’t anything needed really. Some of the stuff for watches is more useful but haven’t found anything for the edge yet

daern
    Free Member

I’ve just started using one called routeCourse, let’s you plan a route using your phone and can then send it straight to your garmin without having to use garmin connect, or plotting a route on the device. I’m just using the free version at present but will probably give them $10 for the premium one as it has a few useful extra features.

This is interesting, but it’s only really needed because Connect is so rubbish at getting courses onto the Garmin 🙁

Haze

not checked for a while, didn’t see anything that interested me last time I looked though

Same.

I had an idea for one when I was out at the weekend, but it’s completely gone now…

bitasuite
    Free Member

There are some really good ones by BaronBiosystems. What’s my FTP is great for road cycling, and xert is a paid for service which is a great training platform. Have a looks at DC Rainmakers reviews for details https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/xert-training-platform-in-depth-review.html/amp and https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/07/xert-rolls-out-free-real-time-ftp-app-on-garmin-devices.html

AdamT

I use the Charts app for a nice view of regular ride stats. I also have an app that interfaces with concept2 rowing machine. A mate is developing an app that displays the veloviewer tiles you entered. If you’re into veloviewer maxsquare and maxcluster, then this is useful.

ac282

Route course is great. You could argue this should be a built in Garmin feature but they have definitely made routing with my edge 520 more user friendly.

roastdinner
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people are using Connect to put courses on their Garmin? I open up file broswer and drag gpx files into the “new files” folder on the Garmin device. Am I doing it wrong?

jam-bo

I use surftracker but i’m not sure that will be much use on an 820.

swdan
    Free Member

Does Routecourse let you do it on the fly? There has been the odd instance when I want to send route to my Garmin from my phone but have not been anywhere near a computer. Weekends away cycling firinstance

Haze

open up file broswer and drag gpx files into the “new files” folder on the Garmin device. Am I doing it wrong?

If you are, so am I…

leffeboy

I don’t understand why people are using Connect to put courses on their Garmin?

have people given up using Basecamp for that? Works quite well really

markgraylish
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for the tip off, that’s very useful

This is interesting, but it’s only really needed because Connect is so rubbish at getting courses onto the Garmin

Agreed

robgclarkson
    Free Member

roastdinner – Member
    I don’t understand why people are using Connect to put courses on their Garmin? I open up file broswer and drag gpx files into the “new files” folder on the Garmin device. Am I doing it wrong?

Haze – Member
    If you are, so am I…[/quote]

this

markgraylish
    Free Member

One immediate advantage I can see with routeCourse is that you don’t need to lug a laptop around. When you’re out on a ride and get lost, or wonder where that interesting road/trail leads to, just pull out your phone and plot a new route then sync via Bluetooth.
    Yup, the Garmin Connect app should allow you to do this, but it doesn’t…

bitasuite
    Free Member

RouteCourse also has a really handy Chrome extension. It’s basically a button you push when viewing a course in Strava, Ride with GPS etc that will send it straight to your Edge.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Useful Garmin IQ 'apps'’ is closed to new replies.