• This topic has 45 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Useful accessory?
  • talkey
    Free Member

Hello! I’m working on the smartphone remote and was wondering what are your thoughts. It is handlebar mounted 5 key remote to control your intercom, music and calls. Thank’s in advance.

Drac

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had one of those, Drac! Cool as anything on my Strika!

However, to the OP – No. Just plain no.

tthew

One of the reasons I ride my bike is to avoid all that bollocks. Perhaps the functons could be.
    1 open gate.
    2 close gate
    3 execute inconsiderate can driver
    4 deploy cake
    5 user configurable

bikeneil
    Free Member

One of the reasons I ride my bike is to avoid all that bollocks.

^^^ This ^^^

thorpey0
    Free Member

Wow! I haven’t seen one of those in 30 odd years Drac!

What were they called again? Possibly THE best accessory I ever had on a bike and just made my Striker all the cooler

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Strika, not Striker.

Details, details.

Triple clamp radnezz back in the day!

OP still has a rubbish idea mind you.

Drac

Super Siren. You can still buy them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sounds like pointless idea. Put it on kickstarter.

Not the super siren, clearly that’s a proven winner.

scaredypants

shout-activated strava settings

lazors (F&R)

drone-cam controls (nothing fancy – maybe just zoom, slowmo and attack mode (see also lazors, above))

Oh, and cake deployment – WIN !!!

talkey
    Free Member

Thank you for you input. It is work in progress. We are planning at some point to go on kickstarter, however before we do that we would like to perfect it and find appropriate market for it. You can see how it looks on the picture.

mulacs

Which button does the cake?

talkey
    Free Member

Which button does the cake?

The one being pressed! 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

Needs a Laser Cock button with some sound effects..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

find appropriate market for it

As you may have noticed, this isn’t the appropriate market.

matt_outandabout

One of the reasons I ride my bike is to avoid all that bollocks.

qwerty
    Free Member

One of the reasons I ride my bollocks is to avoid all that bike.

+1

andyl
    Free Member

+2

That’s a long stem!

You could have a “take shot and upload to facebook” button though as I quite like posting photos when I go out for a ride on a lovely day when all my friends are at work 😀

beej

Phone’s in your bag. You get a call.

Firstly, you may not hear it. You need an obvious notification with caller ID. Like the Garmin 810 does.

Secondly. It’s in your bag. How does pressing the “answer call” button help if you’re not wearing handsfree/connected headphones?

Handsfree earpieces and connected headphones have a call answer button already.

And quite frankly, taking calls while riding? Really? Given how cyclists complain about distracted drivers using their phones (handsfree or otherwise – the attention needed to hold a conversation is distracting enough) do you really think this is a good idea?

Controlling music? Maybe, I guess.

Intercom? Huh?

nach
    Free Member

If I did uplift trails with music I might be into something like that, but like the others above, I ride to get away from my phone, notifications, etc.

I’ve also smashed a dropper remote that went on top of the handlebars before, so that design would make me a bit nervous.

matt_outandabout

I have a simpler idea.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think theres A huge potential market:

Unlock your Audi estate in the trail centre car park as you skid towards it, air punching.
    Order your latte from the trail centre cafe.
    Auto-post a “what bars for my 27.5?” Thread
    Launch a salvo of big hitter threads (as if, hours of prep go into.every one!)

matt_outandabout

Or maybe a small item that could be connected to a phone to operate simple functions, relay some simple information etc. Maybe that could go on a handlebar or a wrist?

edit:
    perhaps a variety of styles for sir?

rickon
    Free Member

Problem is, this exists as part of a hands free kit. The cable from the 3.5mm jack to your earphone can be bought with a remote control.

Having it on your bars would clutter your cockpit.

Drac

Having it on your bars would clutter your cockpit.

Clutter your what?

rickon
    Free Member

Clutter your what?

Cockpit.

You know, the pit for your cock.

joshvegas
    Free Member

one simple tells ones phone what one wants it to do doesn’t one?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The cable from the 3.5mm jack to your earphone can be bought with a remote control.

Just a tad trickier to operate while riding.

iolo
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum op.
    What a shit idea you have!

somafunk

I had a green strika exactly like the one above, pedal back brake for endless skids but impossible to ride no-hands as the front wheel would tuck under, I wanted a grifter but I was only 7-brilliant wee bike though 😀 , also had the yellow siren above. I’ll have to hunt out the pics.

mcnultycop

Why not invent the Apple Watch

talkey
    Free Member

You can get better idea [/url]

unovolo
    Free Member

I really don’t see the point for exactly the same reason I don’t see the point of Smart watches and there ilk.

Its really not that hard to take your phone out of your pocket and I enjoy the peace when cycling any phonecalls get ignored until I either take a break or get home, even then its some moron trying to sell you some PPI malarkey.

Happy to be proven wrong but cant see a massive demand for it.

scaled
    Free Member

that’s some pretty shoddy work where the bricks meet the cobbles

wwaswas

I can see on a motorbike where you may have an earphone(s) in place and want an easy way to answer the phone but on a bicycle it’s just easier to stop and get your phone out.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ejector seat and / or parachute deployment would be nice…

But to be completely honest, whilst I use Strava to log my rides, I kind of hate myself for it, I also listen to the music player on my phone when I’m riding alone, sometimes It’s useful when ‘Christmas Time (don’t let the bells end)’ comes on in the middle of June (WTF haven’t I deleted that yet?!) to be able to skip to the next song, but the little do-dar on my headphone lead does that.

Perhaps smartphone remote isn’t the way to go – have you considered a programmable generic Bluetooth device – when it comes to MTBers the phone is generally just for emergences, or for strava – two things that you don’t really mess with whilst riding – BUT some people like to start-stop a action cam and/or piss about with their GPS device you might find a better market for that…

But as I think you’ve found already, MTBers can be very anti-tech, at least whilst they’re riding anyway – the thought of being able to make / receive a call when I’m riding fills me with dread – it would be like someone slapping you awake in the middle of a nap to remind you, that you have bills and commitments – we’d rather forget about that crap for a few hours and concentrate on dodging tress and shit.

mattsccm
    Free Member

what sad sod takes a phone riding?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You only need one button.Press it and it answers with “f@#/ @£$ I’m riding my bike”.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think this thread nails why we love riding so much.

sweepy
    Free Member

I might actually use one, one button for ‘ignore call’ and another for ‘Skip track you got bored of and forgot to change on playlist’. I hate the earbud remote as I always catch it and it sends the phone into voice control.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Useful accessory?’ is closed to new replies.