Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • used small toyota – Aygo or Yaris or …
  • MadBillMcMad

Looking at getting a cheap <£3000 small car, and to simplify matters lets just say small Toyota.

my initial preference is for the Yaris, looks a little bigger – more likely to get the bike in the back.

Any thoughts yeah or nay ?

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

My hardtail fits into the back of an Aygo easily if I remove both wheels…

project
    Free Member

aygo is also sold as a citroen and peugot,so plenty of parts, aygo has glass one piece tailgate, put me off buying one, lovely thing to drive and park.

footflaps

ex-GF had a Yaris, really nice little car, I’d quite happily have one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

We have an old Yaris as the 2nd car for a few years.

It’s been faultless despite being abused.

It’s surprising what you can get in it with the seats down.

the-muffin-man

My parents have had both – the Yaris easily wins as a car that feels like a car.

Aygo is fine if you live in a city and just need a tiny car that’s easy to park. I wouldn’t like to do a long trip in one. And if there’s a couple of fellas in the front you will be rubbing shoulders with one another.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My son has one of our hand me down Yaris diesels (52 plate, it’s done 138k miles now, great little car.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’re looking at newer ones but I’ve got an X reg 1 litre Yaris that’s now over 152k miles and I’d get another one in a heartbeat.

ernie67

Wife’s got an Aygo ….love it !
    No bells or whistles or owt , but it is what it is & I’d buy another tomorrow

tomkerton
    Free Member

The Aygo really is small. But great if that’s what you want.

bigjim

I’ve a old yaris, it’s been great. Can get a person and a bike in the back, ridiculously cheap to run and completely reliable. Starting to get a few problems with old age now, mostly rust related, but there were 13 years of just normal servicing and expendables like tyres, wipers etc.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Bought the Ex a Yaris – loves it.
    Goes forever, cheap parts (nothing breaks), great on fuel even with a lead foot (she has one), etc

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wife’s got an Aygo …. Hate it!

Made from cheese, rattles like buggery, doesn’t like going around corners. Only drivers door turns light on in the car if it’s dark at night. Elec Windows have to keep your finger on the button. Stereo is crap. Seats are either bolt upright or too laid back.

I can’t think of any big positive about ownership of it. My 2 litre diesel is about 3 times quicker and does better mpg.

Mother in Law has a Yaris, different league altogether, but boy is it bland and plastic

Can you tell I don’t like either 🙂

andyeez
    Free Member

If you go for an Aygo look out for leaking door / boot seals. It’s a common problem with Aygo / 105 and C1.

mtbfix

Got a Yaris Verso. Fits 3 folk and their bikes with just front wheels off. Cheap to run. Faultless for the 5 years I’ve had it. And it’s for sale!

carlphillips
    Free Member

i had a citroen c1 and a pug 107 great cars..i still have my bike rack for it which is amazing..and for sale if you buy one!
    also have roof bars if you need any

ojom
    Free Member

Got a 2000 Yaris. 54k on the clock.

Ace wee thing. Fits us 3 and i have a roof box and bike rack on top for trips up to the deserted north.

It’s an auto as well so it’s the easiest thing in the world to drive. Love it.

matt_outandabout

Based on our old 52 Yaris D4D, that ran on fumes, cost one alternator, one pair wheel bearings and well, that’s it in 120k of driving from ex demonstrator. It cost £6k at a couple of months old, We got rid a couple of months away as all four glow plugs had gone, all seized in and we still got £600 trade in with emissions light on, rather than dead car midwinter (not ideal when mrs_oab’s schools are in Trossachs, cold, cold winter starts).

Brilliant little cars. I am almost regretting not buying another one on bangernomics…

Kahurangi

Loved my Yaris, even though it was the underpowered 995 CC engine. Had to take both wheels off to get a MTB in the back though.

MadBillMcMad

cheers all.

will concentrate on the Yaris.
    The fact that the Aygo is shared with Pug & Citroen puts me off a tad.

andyfla
    Free Member

dont buy the diesel – never got anyway near the 65mpg – realistically low 50’s except if I drove at 55mph – that was on a very mixed commute – half motortway and half country lanes

Utterly gutless little engine and the heater was also bloody useless

Other than that it is a great car – thoroughly recommend

hora
    Free Member

I’ve owned an Aygo- drove it to Germany and back and almost got it on the ‘Ring (insurance issue). I also leased a C1 for two years. Why is sharing C1/Peugeot connection an issue? German cars are crap compared to French.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yaris. We’ve had one for 9 years and the ex-wife forgot to have it serviced for 3 years. Still runs like clockwork. Will take a bike easily with front wheel off and passenger seat pushed forward. The 1.3 goes pretty well but feels like a small car at motorway speeds. 4dr are more flexible but 2drs easier to find.

I’m sure the Aygo is reasonable (Aston Martin tried to sell them for £30k !!) but will more of a squash for bike and even more flimsy on motorway.

As an aside I’ve noticed Aurius (renamed corollas) can be cheaper than Yaris.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘used small toyota – Aygo or Yaris or …’ is closed to new replies.